View Single Post
Old 19 April 2017, 19:26   #63
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Why not compile AROS 68k to 68k asm the all OS and then hand optimize and enhanced it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Do i need to link another Picard_Facepalm.jpg ?
I don't know why this would be a face palm moment. If the price of open sourcing P96 (or CGFX) is too high, the money may be better spent paying for backporting and optimizing AROS RTG for the 68k. AROS 68k could benefit with a more usable AROS on the 68k and I believe existing P96 drivers can be used. The biggest hurdle is that the graphics.library is in kickstart (P96 and CGFX are patch hell to avoid) but this is also a problem with just open sourcing P96 (or CGFX) and not the whole AmigaOS so new kickstarts can be made. The classic Amiga would benefit from new kickstarts (ROMs) with support for larger devices, bug fixes, no double reboot, etc. Development and testing would be a plus here and even open sourcing the AmigaOS does not guarantee this (more forks are just as likely as one new cooperative development release).

The overwhelming question is, is continued Amiga development worthy of investment and development? There are only 2 Amiga continuation options I see. Switch to another architecture (ARMv8 would probably be easiest) using commodity hardware or develop custom hardware (using FPGA technology). Switching to another architecture is probably easier and appears to be less risky, at least on the surface. Most of the development would be to the AmigaOS (or AROS) and compatibility would be through a sand box Amiga emulator. If this route is chosen, there is little advantage to wasting resources to open source P96 (or CGFX) as these are already integrated in AROS and we would be abandoning the 68k architecture. It would be better to fund further progress to the AmigaOS (or AROS) toward new architectures. Funding AROS really puts the pressure on Hyperion and A-Eon to compete (risk on instead of milking the cow to death). The AmigaOS can become open source more easily (cheaper) if/when they are irrelevant but it won't matter much as AROS will have replaced it. Choosing to stay with the 68k and develop it provides the best compatibility, retains the most Amiga users and allows for Amiga innovation again but likely would need an initial investment of millions of dollars for a mass produced affordable hardware. Open sourcing the AmigaOS could be helpful in this scenario but so would paying to improve AROS 68k (if no official 68k AmigaOS development). A Clone-A with ARM CPU emulating a 68k is not likely to be enough with the Apollo Core applying pressure through competition to Jen's business. Too bad we can't all work together and pool resources to bring the Amiga back the way it should be done. I would invest in a proper 68k project with AmigaOS development but just funding open sourcing is not enough for me even though I prefer for the sources to be available.

Page generated in 0.05178 seconds with 9 queries