View Single Post
Old 14 April 2017, 10:54   #1
TheFoxSoft
KO2 world champion

Floppy disk Power Disc [new Amiga game] discussion

Hi guys,
recently I opened a poll in order to understand if there is enough interest in a new amiga game.
From the discussions I realized people are available to buy a new game only if it is AAA game, that means only if the quality is top.

I am a game developer and I released some console titles in the last 10 years including Active Soccer 2 DX (in which I collaborated with Chris Huelsbeck) that brings the spirit of Kick Off 2 and SWOS on modern consoles.
I am a retro game addicted, I grew up with my Amiga 2000 and then with my Amiga 1200 until 1997, when I switched to a Pentium (sad).
I also won 3 Kick Off 2 world cups, just to mention my love for the Amiga.

To cut the long story short I have an idea that is to develop a top quality Amiga game because Amiga deserves a new one.
I would like to port an old game I developed few years ago and adapt it to Amiga, including take advantage of the joysticks accuracy and increase the pace of the game and difficulty like the old good days.

The game would be written for standard Amiga OCS with 1 MB ram. Why not AGA support? Because OCS has a wider audience and I want to push my Amiga knowledge limits further.
Of course I forgot almost all my ASM 68K knowledge so I need to study again all the registers and other stuff, but I will gladly do it.

The game would be a reinterpretation of WindJammers, an arcade 1 vs 1 pong like game with individual characters and power ups.
The idea is to capture 3D models and their animations in all 8 directions in order to create the "sprites" (blitted). This technique will provide a different way to produce characters, instead of relying on pixel art I will provide a step by step 3D models screenshots. This will allow me to speed up the development and at the same time it will provide smoother animations.
I would not exclude to repaint manually the gfx (like the rotoscope technique used in Prince of Persia) but in case the amount of work increases.

As you know OCS can support easily 32 colors but I would like to apply the technique used in Universe (http://hol.abime.net/1815) in which at each row the palette is changed dynamically in order to show about 200 colors on screen.

I attach you some drafts, artificially created via PC in order to get a rough idea on the gfx style and quality.
The first row is a classic 32 colors mode while the second row should simulate the extended colors mode I mentioned before.
I repeat, this is only a reference picture; the final quality may vary. Especially because manual drawing will be necessary to correct some aspects (especially crowd, transparency effect, shadows).

I repeat, at the moment is just an idea.
Please I would like to listen your opinions, both negative or positive but I need your feedback.

Cheers,
Gianluca

Page generated in 0.06339 seconds with 10 queries