View Single Post
Old 12 April 2017, 19:38   #64
Graham Humphrey

I think it's a bit much to expect every game that charges money to be a (I hate this phrase) 'AAA' game comparable with The Chaos Engine or whatever. Let's be honest, the vast vast majority of games (professionally made or otherwise) on the Amiga back in the day don't match up to that and they were still published. And The Chaos Engine was produced by a team working full-time, at the top of their game and it still took them, what, over a year to produce? So it's a bit unrealistic. I have bought Tanks Furry, Reshoot, Tales of Gorluth I and II and don't regret any of them. It wasn't that much money (Reshoot was probably a bit more expensive, though, to be fair), I've got a physical product to keep on my shelf and I've got some enjoyment out of them to varying degrees - 'AAA'? No but I had a good time anyway. Of course, it's personal choice and opinion, and that's fine - not everyone will enjoy them or think they're worth the money but I think they've sold suitably well enough to justify the effort.

I suspect by 'AAA' you (and many others) actually mean 'commercial quality graphics, sound, Amiga trickery and programmed in pure assembler', which is all well and good but I've always judged games based on the games themselves and not all the fancy techy stuff (as lovely as it is). I really enjoyed the TOG games - I reviewed them both for Amiga Future (I did pay for them myself like anyone else by the way) and got a lot of fun out of them, to the extent that I lost an entire Saturday night in the middle of the summer playing the original, without realising I'd done so until I checked the time and it was 1am. Yes, Backbone is limiting, bugged and full of various irritating quirks we all know about but the quality of the design, story and general atmosphere transcended that (for me, at least). The effort put in to it is very obvious.

As for free games... we're getting more of these, slowly I admit, and the quality is slowly increasing, on the whole. But they're the same as what we called PD back in the day, so why people compare them to commercial games from the Amiga's peak is beyond me. And I hope the people who are getting involved - whatever tools they use - enjoy it and are keen to keep improving, as that's the only way we'll eventually see standards raise, I reckon.

Now I must get the ball rolling on my new project...

Page generated in 0.07199 seconds with 9 queries