View Single Post
Old 12 April 2017, 14:33   #40
PortuguesePilot
The Son of Luso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
(...) Modern games and engine performance allows lazy coding. (...)
This is absolutely true. As I have had the opportunity to state elsewhere in these boards, the current generation of CPUs and GPUs allow for lazy coding. Games will play well even if they're not programmed well. Basically all neo-retro games follow this trend. Which is one of the reasons why most won't be easily convertible to the humble Amiga (especially if we're talking about the 68000 processor). If you visit the "Modern Indie PC/Console games which the Amiga could probably handle just fine." thread, you'll see a whole bunch of games that the Amiga (especially 68020 AGA ones) would theoretically be able to handle, yet if one really attempts a conversion, we'll soon see that it does not. Why? Crappy coding. If a proper conversion to the Amiga is intended, then there needs to be a whole lot of optimizations for the Amiga. This, sometimes, means almost a whole overhaul of the code. The recently released conversion of CannonBall is a good example. The laziness of the original code is also a hindrance to conversion, because - especially for the humble 68000 - code optimization is needed. Most games now-a-days aren't perfectly coded like Alley Cat or Maniac Mansion were. Many are sloppy and cluttered like Spelunky or Plague.

I like the idea of making Steam-released UAE-wrapped games that work both on PC and on the Amiga. As in: an Amiga game, developed for the Amiga from the grounds up, that happens to work very well on the PC via a UAE-wrapping (akin to what The Company did with the classics). That way we could also cater to the non-amigans who appreciate neo-retro games. And as we've seen from the recent past, starting somewhere in the early years of this century (particularly after Cave Story came out), people seem to enjoy those "simple yet captivating" games a lot. Pixelart seems to be a new trend now, which is good for us. Focusing on the Amiga but with the PC market also under our belt, indy Amiga game developers would significantly increase their market. This would multiply ten-fold if we also focused on iOS and Android, since both are now able to run UAE (or a suited wrapper) flawlessly. But always with the Amiga as a prime focus and with the premiss of developing new games FOR THE AMIGA.

I play my new Spectrum games on my 128K +2, yes. And I love it. There's something magical about using the decades-old black machine and a Cheetah 125+ joystick just like yesteryear (I use a "DivMMC Enjoy!" to ease the process, natch) BUT I also play them on my Sony PSP, on my PC, my smartphone, my tablet, on my GBA... you get the point. When we develop a game for a certain platform, we can also use that exact same code to run the game on other platforms via emulation, which will significantly increase our chance of making money outside of the Amiga realm.

I still think that we should come together as a whole and act as a team in order to make our individual strengths and talents work in favour of the Amiga. The whole is always more than the mere sum of the parts. That needs true community spirit, though, and the Amiga community seems to be a little devoid of it. We need to work on improving that first, then we'll be ready to fly. Or do you all think I'm being over-optimistic?

Page generated in 0.05596 seconds with 9 queries