View Single Post
Old 24 March 2017, 00:50   #31
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash951 View Post
I also think that Lightwave used a processor on the Video Toaster in addition when rendering. It was possible to render in network, using many Amiga's.
I looked this up, apparently not quite right. The Flyer had encoding hardware to rapidly compress 24 bit images onto a hard drive array complete with compressed 16 bit audio. (VTASC proprietary Newtek format).

Lightwave did indeed have a farm capability for multiple machines generating images simultaneously for the same scene.

But I haven't found any evidence that Lightwave gained any benefit from hardware on the Toaster as such for rendering.

I'll keep looking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Sorry for drifting OT but, just for the record.. regarding the Toaster...

There were several versions of the Toaster.. The Original for the A2000, then the Toaster 4000 then, Toaster "Flyer" and finally (for the Amiga) the Toaster "Screamer" add-on. (Not a card but basically a parallel system)
Before the Screamer, all rendering was done on Amiga CPUs. The Screamer used a pile of MIPS R4400 CPUs for rendering though.. Not sure how common that thing was though..

And the whole Toaster "thing" was not that big in PAL territory.. It played well with NTSC, but PAL... not so much.. (It needed a "hack" to work at all.. (Passport 4000 from Prime Image)) So that probably limited its reach a bit too..

Well, that didn't take long to find. Screamer was the Toaster with the render boost. Thanks.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 24 March 2017 at 00:53. Reason: Accuracy

Page generated in 0.08658 seconds with 9 queries