View Single Post
Old 11 March 2017, 18:44   #22
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
i think you are wholesale leaving the human factor as entity out of the equation. im actually surprised and very pleased by the continuity of effort gunnars and majsta projects are providing. hardly anything in amiga land can concure with this. i wouldnt be able to fulfill such a duty. i admire that!
I'm not blaming Gunnar or Majsta but rather the people holding the Amiga hostage. There are some 50 billion ARM processors produced every year. The Raspberry Pi has sold over 10 million units (I want a piece of that pie). A single Natami thread had over .75 million views (Amiga interest with no advertising!). A-EON has managed to sell low thousands of Amigas while claiming to preserve the Amiga? No, this is just a slow and guaranteed Amiga Death as they regurgitate the same failed ideas while they block everyone else. If they won't take the risk to mass produce halfway affordable Amigas which Amiga users want then they should pass on the technology to someone who will instead of waiting until they are bankrupt to pass it on (if they really cared like they pretend to). We know Amiga Inc. is a few con-men and don't expect anything from them but A-EON and Cloanto are a bunch of lamers too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
pretty sure amiga users out there are online, one way or the other. these who are not, dont count anyway in today terms. its not a question of having means being online (with amiga hardware), but to engage with the common cause, which is a different matter to discuss.
I expect 90% use a "PC" for the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Well how about this, same idea basically but make it Mini-PCI slot to use as a PCI-to-PCI bridge for future Amigas.

If or when the big box version of Vampire comes out, you could use the Mini-PCI slot to plug into the bridge slot of a Mediator. Then we get the benefits of full PCI speed to the Mediator slots instead of the slow PCI->Zorro way it is now. Then we get fast-ish access to Voodoo or Radeon RAM or PCI HDD controllers or you know any of what we thought would be fast on Mediator but isn't really at all, fast that is.
This is a good idea. I wonder if a cable could connect a mini-PCI slot on an FPGA accelerator card to an existing PCI slot in Mediators? It would probably have to support bus mastering and I'd be a little weary of the cabling. The old mini-PCI shouldn't need a more expensive FPGA with SerDes and has several times the bandwidth of Zorro II/III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I used to think similarly but you really get used to the RTG capability and online-access to aminet or media and code storage on your PC in no time at all...
Yep. I would probably give up my Amiga without relatively fast CPU, fast gfx, fast drives and the internet. As much as I love the Amiga, I'm not going back to 68000, ECS, floppies and a 1084 monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz400 View Post
Again there is a wealth of Mini-PCI laptop network cards and other bits that are landfill nowadays.
The reason I signed up with the forum(After lurking many YEARS) is that the technology is already to go with some FPGA and that the PHYSICAL size or `Real Estate` the Mini-PCIE slot will consume on the PCB is as small as possible with the MAXIMUM potential.
Even a single lane PCIe slot has huge bandwidth compared to any classic Amiga hardware (it is even adequate for most slow AmigaOS 4 hardware sadly). PCIe would still need those SerDes from a more expensive FPGA but that is likely affordable for big box and 1200 accelerators.

Quote:
The Trend is to build smaller with the same or more power.
Yep. Back to doing more with less. This is what the 68k Amiga was good at and what most Amiga users have been doing since the '90s.

Quote:
The Amiga wasnt going to be quite so Amiga when they make the move to the Hombre chipset being RISC not 68K but something improved.
Did you read the whole thread I linked? C= was planning a non-Amiga Hombre 64 bit game box but they also had plans to use the Hombre chip set for 3D gfx (card or integrated). They were planning to have it compatible with the Amiga and they were also planning an Amiga SoC (68k+custom chips). C= would have liked to continue both the Amiga and 68k but the 68k was more difficult as Motorola was sabotaging the 68k line as they tried to convert everyone to PPC and they were not known for making friendly licensing deals of their technology. C= seemed to aim too low in CPU specs also but some of that may have been Motorola's marketing and premiums they demanded on their chips. While it was unlikely that C= would have ended up with a 68060+Amiga SoC, it could have been competitive in performance/watt for over a decade for mid then low end retro gaming and embedded applications (set top boxes, kiosks, etc.). The 68060 had similar performance to the Pentium while using ~42% less power (5.5W vs 9.5W) and 32% less transistors (2.5mil vs 3.3mil). The 68060 could get away with 1/2 the memory of RISC for a further energy efficiency and cost advantage. A somewhat similar to the Pentium in order CISC Atom with the energy efficiency advantage the 68060 had compared to the Pentium would be outperforming the best Cortex ARM processors in integer performance/watt/core today.

Last edited by matthey; 11 March 2017 at 18:52.

Page generated in 0.07702 seconds with 9 queries