View Single Post
Old 10 March 2017, 17:23   #10
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Welcome to the forum, Justin.

PCIe and PCIe mini require a more expensive FPGA with SerDes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SerDes

Then there is the issue of increased power consumption support which adds more cost. The idea was to make the accelerator cards affordable upgrades for the masses. The Vampire accelerator HDMI with SAGA is already a big boost in gfx features and performance with little added cost. I wish my other "cheap" suggestion of ethernet could have been added to get more Amiga people online also. It would make more sense for an FPGA standalone board to add features. The more expensive FPGA with SerDes (roughly twice as expensive) and PCIe would make more sense there.

Disclosure: I was part of the Apollo group some people called a team.

I have a Mediator+Voodoo4 with my Amiga and it does add some awesome features and performance even with this old '90s gfx card and through the slow bus.
Hi Matt,
Thank You for the welcome and thoughtful response.
We prob met before on the Natami forum a while back, everyone screaming we need this and this and this until it broke.
I was thinking `Future revisions` with this whole Idea, you mention cheap ethernet which is on the money too, how many little WiFi cards are there floating about for peanuts that are tiny and would disapear like a CF card inside an Amiga with a minipcie slot.
The legendary Mr Haynie kinda thought oh sod it why not use PCI when going forward. Someone else has got something good working why not just use that and save time and money
Why screen our selves off from using that abundant source of obsolete PC junk waiting to landfill.

I have really enjoyed watching Vampire grow, from the arguments(not so fun) on Natami forum to watching the videos on youtube showing what a bloody powerful piece of hardware its become.

Its absolutley something to plan ahead with now even if not implemented in hardware yet due to current BOM costs.
Im an oldie like most people here, I understand the economics of running a business with enough profit to put back into the R&D and production costs without making your product too expensive for anyone to enjoy
If Nobody can afford to enjoy it, everyone looses
Thanks Justin

Page generated in 0.05299 seconds with 9 queries