View Single Post
Old 05 March 2017, 19:53   #21
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
MPEG-1 is an old standard which is not too heavy, offers moderate compression, has good audio quality (mp3 is MPEG-1 layer 3), is widely supported and doesn't have many legal liabilities. H.264 is the industry standard today with high compression and good quality but has legal hurdles. Ogg Theora has similar performance without the legal issues and is gaining support, especially on the internet.
My examples are with Opus audio average 32kbps (max VBR 64kbps).
MPEG-1 was slower to encode (8 times slower than h.264).
h.264 can be beneficial on Amiga due significant changes in codec architecture (by definition h.264 not using any float), i further reduced required processing power by not using CABAC.
Legally h.264 is not a problem (but your concerns are valid) - there is next generation codec which should be free from legal problems (http://aomedia.org/) but seem it will be to heavy on CPU's common in Amiga.

Quote:
Amiga users don't have as many options for video. MPEG-1 videos are small enough to reduce disk loading bandwidth requirements while being light enough for older CPUs. There are older codecs like Cinepak and Sorenson (can be in AVI or QT files and played with the fast MooVID/Action) for even slower CPUs (but needing higher disk bandwidth and more storage space).
And both (Cinepak and Sorenson are closed source codecs).
But anyway - one of mine examples is MPEG-1 video with Opus audio in Matroska container (due open nature of Matroska and overall low overhead to conserve bandwidth).

So if there is any chance for Amiga to play Matroska with Opus Audio codec (32kbps average VBR sounds quite OK from my perspective - btw my examples has audio resampled to 24kHz) and with MPEG-1 video codec (example use fully integer based YCgCo color space for expected substantial increase in decoding speed, also there is no B frames to reduce overall CPU load).

Quote:
HAM8 offers some compression itself with a kind of hardware decompression on AGA machines but long videos made of HAM8 frames are going to be excessively large and impractical.
Some people on EAB will not agree with you, personally i share same impression (HAM is hardware video decompressor).
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.14553 seconds with 9 queries