View Single Post
Old 02 March 2017, 21:56   #141
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
i know that, but it isnt (yet) the os component by itself. it is freely avaliable free of charge. the point being, aros (or whatever alternative open source system you might want to create) doesnt need to recreate each and every amiga library, device or program if they are anyway available for the general public, except you need to improve or extend its functionality. what would be the sense of it otherwise? aros68k is done particularly to be compatible with all these bits ad pieces in mind. i think it is an advantage not a handicap, as minous try to make it look like. but lets leave this apparent offtopic be.
If AROS doesn't have all the functionality of AmigaOS 3.9 then switching to it would be a downgrade in some ways to Minuous, me and other AmigaOS 3.9 users. Add that to the downgrade in performance and AROS is not as appealing of an AmigaOS "alternative". I'm not knocking AROS but it is what it is. AROS does have other functionality and benefits which may offset this but it is still a downgrade in some ways. Adoption hurdles are an important consideration if you want people to give up on AmigaOS 3.x and switch to the open source AROS. Don't underestimate the importance of compatibility, especially with little new 68k software.

Last edited by matthey; 02 March 2017 at 22:01.
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.04803 seconds with 9 queries