View Single Post
Old 01 March 2017, 18:47   #68
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
matthey, i beg you not to spread fud. aros build system is _very_ user friendly. even i have no problem to maintain my local builds on different linux contribs. its just sourcing out the necessary packages, configure and make.
FUD is disinformation but I have nothing against AROS so it would be misinformation at best. Building AROS is still not easy for me. C was supposed to be portable across compilers and hardware but it looks like AROS requires a particular compiler and OS to build it.

Quote:
i really have a feeling that the problems of newer compilers with 68k are partly a myth. few days ago i was presented by phx with a testcase he said it failed on 5.x.x. i compiled it with aros 6.3.0 and the result was correct.
A bug in a particular version of a compiler is not a myth. Bugs get fixed and new ones introduced. GCC has varied anywhere from good to awful and the 68k has tended to get slow bug fixes and support upgrades. The only thing consistent about GCC for the 68k has been its lack of consistency.

Quote:
aros wont take over just each and every concept of the genuine os and for a reason (monitor files as example). aros extends os3.x functionality, but isnt it what we want? the extensions may or may not be questionable value. you need to contribute something and then you can discuss the options to make it better, simple as it is.
New functionality can be bad if it is for convenience (due to laziness) and/or unnecessary. Was the HIDD interface really necessary for example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Developer/Docs
HIDD API is heavyweight though. You need to open a HIDD library, open oop.library, instantiate an object (even if there's no object); and object calls are more costly compared to plain library calls.
Quote:
the code behind components may be different but what else does that mean except it is original? it may be better or worse, for sure its more portable, a good base to be future proof, if that is a requirement. nevertheless aros is built after amiga specifications also what concerns separate modules interfaces and their interaction, or at least attempts that, even if it might not be perfect in places. you can replace separate components in aros with their amiga counterparts and they will work. for instance third party mui classes work within zune 68k, peter k icon library, or other genuine libs can be used with aros. amiga device drivers are interchangeable.
Different components are not always interchangeable. The APIs have changed in some cases (for example layers.library). Some components are significantly different like resources with these HIDDs.

Quote:
certainly open sourcing amiga wouldnt make that much difference for aros anymore, its too advanced by now. but there might be some crucial references people would still be thankful about. i know at least staf said something like that. it wont happen though, so no matter.
I believe open sourcing AmigaOS would be very good for AROS, especially AROS on the 68k. A light weight hybrid of AmigaOS and AROS would probably become available for 68k Amigas (hopefully only one cooperative effort with no forks). AROS is currently more appealing for new hardware. Maybe it is time to give up on the 68k (I found little interest in a mass produced 68k hardware) and buy a $35 Raspberry Pi 3 to try AROS on. Ironically, the new ARMv8 (AArch64) support in the RPi 3 is very similar to PPC but at less than 1/10 the price of the Tabor (missing FPU and SIMD of RPi 3 too) and more than twice as fast if AROS can get the SMP working for ARM. I don't expect too much in performance from a 64 bit RISC CPU with 16kB ICache and 16kB DCache even if the code density of ARMv8 is better than PPC. Maybe I could compile my own version of GCC for RPi 3 supported ARMv7 Thumb 2 as compiling is one of the tasks limited by caches. One day soon A-EON/Hyperion will wake up and won't have to worry what CPU architecture to switch to as Amiga users will have realized what AmigaOS to switch to instead.

Last edited by matthey; 01 March 2017 at 19:03.

Page generated in 0.05654 seconds with 9 queries