View Single Post
Old 27 February 2017, 23:05   #40
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebec View Post
This is a little bit of an unfair comparison -- the Pentium 3.3V on 0.6um process also shipped at 90 and 100mhz in volume (March 1994), with 100 being a full 33% faster than the 68060 ever shipped at. The main reasons for the 75 mhz version were to make Pentium work on cheaper motherboards (50 mhz bus speed instead of 66), and because of pricing pressure coming on from AMD's 5x86-120/133 chips released in 1995. I bet the Pentium 100 launched cheaper than the 68060 50, 66, or 75 mhz..
I was comparing the CPU designs and the only way to do that was to choose as similar of products as possible.

Quote:
As for TDP/power consumption - somewhat meaningless in this case -- the Pentium was a more aggressive design with more transistors intended for higher performance. Keep in mind Intel also had the Pentium Pro released on November 1995, which was leaps and bounds ahead of the 68060 and early PPCs..
At the time, power consumption was not as important for "desktop" gamers as I noted (it is much more important today). I believe the 68060 and Pentium were close in their initial target as the next generation of a CPU which could be used as the basis for further enhancements. IMO, both teams were successful in this but then the 68060 was abandoned for the PPC. The 68060 was a great CPU for embedded and mid-range desktop use where resources were limited but ignorant suits up top dropped the axe on it after the AIM agreement.

Quote:
IMO Motorola's biggest problem was itself -- it kept pricing the 68000, and 68020/030 at exorbitant prices, didn't sell high clock speed versions of the 68K or '020 because of worry it would compete with the '030 (i.e. later 68K and 020's had a LOT of margin left in them), which in the case of our dear Amiga prevented lower end increments from improving enough to stay relevant. (An A500+/A600 with a 68020@ 25 mhz, and an A1200 with a 68030 @ 32mhz certainly wouldn't have hurt market share). The 68000 was already 6 years old by the time the A1000 launched...
Absolutely. Motorola had management and marketing hindrances.

Quote:
The Amiga had epic engineering going for it, but EVERYTHING else going against it.. .
I agree. The biggest factor was the economies of scale from the PC boom and then 3D gaming boom putting huge cash flows in the Intel sales and wiping out their past mistakes. The RISC hype was at full steam which sold CPUs for high end computers while the 68060 did not get much attention. The 68060 was an excellent design and better suited for embedded, laptop and mid-range desktop use than either the Pentium or RISC. Sadly, the 68060 was a successful design which was mis-managed (ironically by Motorola which lived on embedded sales) and mis-marketed (practically anti-marketed by Motorola).

Page generated in 0.09286 seconds with 9 queries