View Single Post
Old 23 February 2017, 01:11   #26
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash951

I also think that Lightwave used a processor on the Video Toaster in addition when rendering...
Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
is this true? can someone confirm this? I took my toaster out of my A4000 due to heat issues since the bloody video slot on the daughterboard was literally right on top of the MB...anyhow my understanding back then was the Toaster was merely a very expensive dongle for Lightwave and nothing more.
Sorry for drifting OT but, just for the record.. regarding the Toaster...

There were several versions of the Toaster.. The Original for the A2000, then the Toaster 4000 then, Toaster "Flyer" and finally (for the Amiga) the Toaster "Screamer" add-on. (Not a card but basically a parallel system)
Before the Screamer, all rendering was done on Amiga CPUs. The Screamer used a pile of MIPS R4400 CPUs for rendering though.. Not sure how common that thing was though..

And the whole Toaster "thing" was not that big in PAL territory.. It played well with NTSC, but PAL... not so much.. (It needed a "hack" to work at all.. (Passport 4000 from Prime Image)) So that probably limited its reach a bit too..

Page generated in 0.06265 seconds with 9 queries