View Single Post
Old 11 February 2017, 20:12   #3
bugsymalone666
Amiga baby yeah!

So I looked at the LCD in my 'Dynatek' case and found although its 90s, its actually the same drive chips as all LCDs on the market today, although this is Japanese made!

Researching on here and google I found out actually its a simple process ordered a chinese Gotek for 12 so I didnt ruin my Amiga on and also an adaptor for the LCD. got this stuff and started the process of getting new firmware, not realising you also had to buy a licence for the HXC stuff! Not a problem though only a couple of quid and worth it

rigged it up on the case with the case LCD and it seems to work!

Stage one, I was surpised it worked and the little I2C just needed some contract adjustment!

The next stage was to mount it properly, I was going to just hotglue it in but after some checking through all my rubbish, I found proper 5,25" to 3.5" drive adaptors, meaning it fitted in the bottom of the unit lovely! The usb extension cable with its many ferrites came from some other scanner thing, turned out to be just the right length!

The other thing making the project possible was that on ebay I managed to get a very sorry looking PCB and cable from an external Amiga disk drive, cleaned it with vinegar, washed and dried it, left it in the airing cupboard over night and it was a different board by morning

In the back of the unit chassis there was a little hole which you normally find device id selectors in, this had a blank which I removed and thought it would be perfect for my cable to come through, but the holes so small!

I found a solution to that, cut a hole fro a usb port directly under it like so:

I had to take the 23pin end of the cable apart, but it slid through the hole just, and then seated firmly:

Then to keep it from moving, add a USB port:

With it all in place I then had to add in a 'floppy' power connector as the case only came with 2 hard drive molexs.

With it plugged in it almost looks like its meant to be in there:

Page generated in 0.05271 seconds with 9 queries