View Single Post
Old 14 January 2017, 14:16   #81
meynaf
68k wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
It can be proven mathematically that 44.1kHz can provide a perfect reproduction of all frequencies from DC to 20 kHz.
Does not mean nothing else can creep in, like components of higher frequencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Since the human hearing does not go beyond this range, 44.1 kHz should be enough for perfect reproduction. The only issue here is that it is impossible to make infinitely steep low-pass filters. In the early days, the filters were very poorly made and allowed high frequencies to fold down into the audible range, known as aliasing. This sounds very bad. Today modern DSP and oversampling techniques means that these filters can be made a lot better and in practice can push aliasing products down below -100dBFS in the audible range so they are no longer a problem. This is a bit harder with 44.1kHz than with 48kHz.
There are still harmonics to be heard, or aliasing noise, or quantization noise, or whatever it's called. I supposed it would be harmonics, which could well be wrong. However something can be heard that makes 48Khz sound slightly better than 44.1, that's all. The theory behind, i've no idea of. I'm just stating a fact.
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.05172 seconds with 9 queries