View Single Post
Old 13 January 2017, 16:16   #62
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazydave View Post
W

I have absolutely no idea why there's a compressor even being mentioned. The very last thing I want is to take my 8-bit or 9-bit sample and reduce its resolution any more. Maybe I'd play around with an expander, but no, never a compressor. And absolutely not one that's clipping ... that's just bad work.

I have zillions of various audio plug-ins designed for various purposes. It's possible that you might find something that would make the sound more pleasing. That's of course changing the original sound -- all you can ever do is reduce the amount of information from the original sample. But again, it's the art... perhaps a DSP algorithm meant for
"clarity" or some other generic function would be useful.
Mr Dave, a compressor doesn't just compress - it also expands, to make quieter parts of a music piece sound louder.

I always used the term "Compander", ie compression/expander, but musos and sound engineers don't like the word, they're too used to the idea that the equipment just compresses. It doesn't. It uses the available bandwidth as best it can.

"HeyMrMusic" is the best example of that, on the demonstrator. Double bass is not easy for a microphone to pick up in the first place, if youre recording on Jamaica in the early 60s. Recorded and mixed on a four track, that's not the real ringer...

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 13 January 2017 at 16:23.

Page generated in 0.08179 seconds with 9 queries