View Single Post
Old 11 January 2017, 20:45   #4
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
All the JEsus On Es files sound horribly distorted, how are they "remastered"?
The random OGG I downloaded sounded OK.
Yes digital delay cycle was turned off with nearly all the Oggs. Try the Electric.flac.

Delay helps with conventional domestic audio equipment, but it's really the original 8 bit 4 channel mix that is "distorted" in some ways. I also had to give a realistic idea rather than everything simulated perfectly. Real world hardware rarely turns out better or the same as paper design hardware.

I invite people to try with headphones and hear the differences between LSD 8 bit and LSD DR 8 bit. The original Amiga version does indeed sound horribly distorted. The DR 8 Bit sounds wonderful in comparison.

[ Show youtube player ]

I think Akira is listening on a very good amplifier and some very nice speakers. Celestions, perhaps? Most people don't have them, at 18,0000 per speaker. Bose much more affordable and 99.99% as good.

So, hardware maybe needs a delay on / off control. Then again, if you can afford high quality audio gear, you would be using a Delfina and outputing 16 bit stereo in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Are you able to elaborate on this? What kind technology is used to enhance audio (something like spectral band replication)?
I am happy to elaborate, and NO analog was used. The enhancement done is purely digital. I haven't heard of spectral band replication as such, so it might be the same.

First, I took a mod, and extracted the digital data for left and right channels. This was saved in 16 bit format, using Sonique (can use other packages, just what I had to hand).

So the Amiga 8 bit is now 16 bit, but the sample rate is still whatever was used to make it with. Two huge great wav files.

Then, these were loaded into Audacity, which in itself converts those into 32 bit samples with a sample rate of 44.1 KHz.

After that, digital effects using Audacity were added, but the main point is, a CPU was used to "redraw" the samples from an 8 bit workspace into a 32 bit workspace at a much higher sample rate. I use the word "redraw", you could also use the word "calculate".

A little bit like zooming in on a fractal program.

The final part of the mix is the delay. One side is mixed to the other, either in perfect sync, or with a little delay.

Then you compress and expand it so that it has IMPACT. A real musical technician would just say "compress it to fuck", but I am not a musician, or a studio engineer, I just hung out with quite a few of them.

Finally the combined sound is output to both audio outputs. Effectively, it's just repeated mono, but it still started as 4 separate sounds so the mind doesn't notice, it hears multiple sounds across multiple channels, so does not recognize it as such. A delay takes out the inherant clicks, but will upset musical purists who are used to the snap, crackle and pop of Amiga tunes.

Quieter bits sound louder, louder bits sound quieter.

It's not quite what a pro would use in a sound studio, but in terms of coming up with hardware to do that, it is all just a digital process. No filtering involved. It is broadly similar to the studio recording process, but very much simplified and automated.

The Omega and Pyramid were, from what I gather, analog frequency filters and boosters. They did take noise out but they also dumped some frequency responses, which is why there are two versions of the Omega.

This is better than either, as a concept, but you can do EVEN BETTER with just software. alone. Right at the beginning, you seperate each of the four channels seperately and clean them up sepeately. Then mix them. You just can't do it in realtime with hardware without taking inputs from the top of the Paula chip or similar. Far easier to build a box that plugs into the sound phono sockets on the outside. Works any Amiga. Works any stereo audio output.

Whether "works" is what you want is different, it's not aimed at deep pockets. It was my idea of how Omega SE worked when I first heard about it. Turns out, my idea was better, just far too expensive to implement at the time.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 11 January 2017 at 21:42.

Page generated in 0.11405 seconds with 9 queries