View Single Post
Old 07 November 2016, 13:27   #114
earok

We're launching the CD32 version as currently is as a BETA. D.J.M has worked massively hard on the project for months on end and would like to retire the project, at least for now.

So what's in this version?
- Akiko optimised rendering, which gives a noticeable gameplay boost on the humble CD32
- Sega CD faithful controls:
- RED: Run
- BLUE: Whip
- GREEN: Jump Forward
- Patch for CD audio playback on a real CD32

We're releasing as BETA because it isn't fully tested and there are known issues (in particular the intro animation lagging behind the music)

As an aside, I've included the original game (US edition: Out of this World) which I've patched to have the password menu accessible from blue button, but is otherwise the same old Amiga edition (it's also based on an old cracked copy, so excuse the copy protection screen - just enter anything). The menu from the Sega CD edition has been ported to cater for selecting the two games. There's also a cover in the download by Steve.

Big round of applause for all of D.J.M's super hard work on this project!

Also thanks to Akira, I've nabbed his WAVs and ported to MP3 (for download size reasons).

EDIT:

I've made another upload, this includes a version with RAW audio. I'm not totally sure but this version might be more reliable, albeit at the cost of audio fidelity and maybe slightly decreased performance.

The upload includes both versions. It might be possible that the freezes are only on real CD32s (in which case the CD music version is preferable under emulation). I have not tested this second build on a real CD32 yet.

Burn the cue file if you want CD Music, otherwise just the ISO called "CD32Game-RAWMusic.iso"

EDIT 2:

I haven't heard from D.J.M in awhile but I've uploaded another version that (for now) I consider the final beta.

It uses CD music and it has a workaround for the freezing issue - when the game freezes, lift the lid for a brief moment and it should come back to life (CD32 will not reboot). I know it's not ideal but it should allow you to (hopefully) play the whole game without needing to reboot. So far as the exact executables go, it's the same as before, just with a utility added to prevent the CD32 from rebooting upon lifting the lid.

https://mega.nz/#!EB5wWYgQ!INhHEHPI4...FWSIEvHv3TstIU

EDIT 3:

EDIT:

There are parts of the game (such as falling down the hole near the start) where the game will freeze with a black screen, and opening the lid will not fix this issue. When this happens, just leave the console running until the current CD track finishes, then it'll resume.

In short, if the game is frozen in the middle of action and the music has stopped playing, lift the lid. If you've got a black screen and the music is still playing, wait for the game to resume. I know it's all very messy but it's the best I can provide for now.

EDIT:

Ugh, I give up. Waiting for the game to resume worked on WinUAE, didn't seem to work on real console..

Last edited by earok; 13 November 2016 at 11:01.

Page generated in 0.06981 seconds with 9 queries