View Single Post
Old 04 November 2016, 14:48   #32
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@pandy71
Firstly my friend, I want you to know I have a lot of respect for your knowledge and experience, from what you share with our fellow members and the help and advice I have received from you in the past I have found massively invaluable.
So this is mutual feeling.

Quote:
This discussion is interesting because I think we are arguing the same point from different heights of the mountain lol!
Well... highly possible - glass can be half full or half empty... (for me being engineer half full glass means it can be filled to top with some + [meniscus])

Quote:
I humbly agree, however only from the standpoint of what we would know about the industry, its mergers and acquisitions - sadly we are the few that follow such deep tech deals and details - unfortunately not everyone does know or reads the financial times .
Ok - my point was that even if this was predictable then choosing this particular vendor may be related to other factors (and as we know minimig use Altera so i assume everyone going for Altera as natural due easiness adapting code - is there any Xilinx minimig port?).
Also this is part of freedom of developer - to choose tool he like more.

Quote:
I have to admit, I possibly have an ill conceived perception and concerns about "kick starter / Go Fund Me" - crowd funding in general - for group buys of small investment not a problem, however I have read stories of peoples research / work being used on cloned projects.

When you have a project that you are so invested in - I can see, nay feel the concern that someone that is somewhat nefarious would copy your concept / idea and use you hard work - therefore leaving all the effort you have made and invested in for nothing.
I assume that design itself (HW part) is quite straightforward and sufficiently documented currently (Majsta page gives some answers how to solve most difficult parts from his perspective) - other factor is Apollo Team property - AFAIK it will stay closed and fully belongs to Apollo Team and at this moment generously donated to Majsta for Vampire project (in future maybe new cores will be introduced for a small royalty payed by every Vampire user - bug fixes, new functions etc) - all this may remove some doubts on stealing project by someone else but of course will may be insufficient - life is tough and as such personally all my eventual future projects probably will be open source.

Quote:
150e is a lot of funds for what is essentially a hobby, when I heard the price, I was shocked it was so low for such equipment, however thats just my perspective - I have paid over 300e for a bridge-board that allows me to use defunct PCI adaptors LOL, so I feel me arguing anything on price is questionably valid lol!

I think what the real bite is the price increase - most people were not expecting it and while I feel I am possibly on my own in saying that this should of come sooner - its incredibly easy to upset the Amiga community lol!
150E is IMHO fair price for hobbyist product (this complexity) for hobbyist - maybe some small increase as time going and prices of everything rising - problem is that during this time my salary didn't grow in same way as this price so i must limit my self even if like others waited for Vampire as ultimate answer for Amiga accelerator board - maybe in future when my salary grow in similar factor i will be able to share joy of other Vampire users.
And i'm not upset - i believe also Amiga community is not upset.

Quote:
Personally I don't think "they" had a choice in the price increase, if I have to argue fault I would say communication was the let down here, not surprising when both hardware engineers are scrambling to produce product and simply not having enough time to engage their customers.
And i don't blame anyone - at some point i've realized that something i've waited will not happen, it was a bit bitter moment, maybe too bitter in description - happen - life going forward and i think that i'm quite desolated in such impression (fractional minority).

Quote:
This is by no means meant in any derogatory way, its a simple case of underestimating the market in the initial order quantities. After all, the A600 wasn't the most loved machine, and barring the Furia020 and ACA620, it hadn't seen an accelerator in over 20 years!
Well... i predicted that Vampire bringing totally new quality to Amiga market (so fundamental different that even developers are incapable to understand that Vampire don't need to be emulate 68060 to deliver more processing power than any 68060 ever made) and it will be huge market for it.

Quote:
I humbly agree sir, if anything I can say about the V2 500 project I can see how some of the community can be get upset and even enraged when they see these items on eBay commanding some very serious funds.

From what I have read Majsta provided these as prototypes to garner more funds for the project as well as negate some people making serious profit on their equipment they bought at 150e.
I'm not upset and fully support Majsta on this - if He can gain additional funds due such biding then it is fine - i can wait few months - don't need to have board number 1 and if someone is willing to pay more to be first - not my money and not my circus - we are free people...

Quote:
Sadly I felt this is flawed thinking, not only does it not stop people from selling their legally owned equipment it in some view gives credence to it - e.g. "If they can make that much perhaps I can" - I know this is not the case but others, and I suspect a lot, won't or don't see it that way.
Well i can understand some disappointment and i can understand Majsta decision - he is the one that dedicated his time - and as i know reality of salaries some of us may earn 1000E per 1 working hour... He spent many hours of his life to create something considered by many as unrealistic and as i've long time ago realized that only FPGA may give Amiga this kind functionality (as i doubt about ASIC made by community - maybe combined 68k community but not Amiga only).
Majsta made something i've had in my head from more than 10 years and at this point His success is confirmation for my thoughts and that's why i'm wishing Him and Vampire all the best.

Quote:
I couldn't agree more my friend thank you for your insights =)
Hope this long story explained my very short expression that may be not entirely understood earlier - let stay friends with respect to all differences we may have, hope soon all community will celebrate commercial Vampire success as We all deserved after so many years of stagnation.
I also hope that Majsta and Apollo Team with all supporting guys will be at least enjoy fruits of they hard work - they deserved for this.
Kudos to All!
Thank You Zetr0 for a warm words - i appreciate this and i think it is best to close this discussion now hoping that Vampire will be great and affordable for most of us accelerator for Amiga. If someone feel offended - please accept my apologies - it was never my intention
Cheers!

Page generated in 0.09959 seconds with 9 queries