View Single Post
Old 21 October 2016, 12:53   #42
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
8 bitplanes means 1 byte - number of pixels (320x200) directly can be used for number of bytes, for less bit-planes i.e. less bits per pixel you can use formula like: ((X*Y)*n)/8 (where n is number of bitplanes).
Yeah, I understand that, I just wasn't sure if HAM8 used 8 bit planes, or more or less. I guess I should have had a better think about it. Seems to me that HAM8 gives close enough to a true colour capable screen, while using the same amount of memory as a 256 colour screen of the same resolution, with the restrictions mentioned earlier in this thread. Even with the restrictions and the need to choose the indexed colours carefully to match the picture, this still strikes me as a fantastic technical achievement.

Unless I'm doing this incorrectly, it seems to me a 320x200 HAM8 screen would only require 64,000 bytes of Chip RAM?

So a 1280x512 HAM8 screen would require 666,360 bytes of Chip RAM, while for the same resolution if it were using a full 24-bit for each pixel would require 3 times as much, a whopping 1,999,080 bytes, and if the indexed colours are chosen well, it would be hard to tell apart the two colours with the naked eye. Or am I far off here?

Page generated in 0.04784 seconds with 9 queries