View Single Post
Old 19 October 2016, 15:52   #182

Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
That said, having gone through the hard knocks school of writing 'C' for the Amiga (started in 1988, if I remember correctly) has served me well in all these years.
C (...and completely different LISP) are Timeless, imho :-)

This particular SCSI driver is a combination of the unified scsi.device build, which encompasses ST/XT/IDE/WD/LSI hardware
In my opinion the continued reuse of that code might perhaps not have been that wise, seperate implementations would have been far cleaner, easier to debug and test and also less steep for other developers to work on (which you want).

I do not know how much of the change history you looked through (something more which, once seen, can never be unseen, I suppose).
It covered from ~1.3 to slightly post 3.1.

I wrote a bunch of ELISP code wrapping around Emacs' RCS support to mine statistics and relationships etc.

Great history fun :-)

This looked like the work of a very small, dedicated team to me. I have worked in, and with teams like that. It looked familiar to me.
Yes such things are really awesome, sometimes this results though in situations where knowledge of the codebase doesn't disseminate and developer mobility across the project drops.

What neither of us can see is the history beyond the 1985 starting point of the RCS history. It's possible that such a history exists, maybe in the form of SCCS files. The collaboration between Dale Luck and RJ Mical was said to be very close when graphics.library and intuition.library were "cast". This cannot be seen in the RCS change history, which seems to begin right when Commodore acquired Amiga, Inc.
Indeed, (lets call it) the whole SAGE era is massively fascinating, i'd love to see archives of that but i fear its all since lost.

When looking at the tree/history of AmigaOS you see a pattern of really big (and often impressive) large code drops by the Big Names and then only very little continued feature development by others.

All this stuff is the most fascinating Amiga history in years (ever!). Its so sad that Cloanto/Hyperion cant just put this on AF or whatever under a read-only license for historical value.
Page generated in 0.05117 seconds with 9 queries