View Single Post
Old 19 October 2016, 12:39   #180

Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
I cannot quite picture this. For now AmigaOS 3.1 appears to be useful only in the context of virtualization, emulation and legacy hardware (modified or unmodified). As such the best possible outcome for it which I could imagine today would be a platform for tinkerers, hobbyists and "makers".
Ho, ho, i think you misunderstood :-)

I was not saying you should compare AmigaOS in its application area to VxWorks or so. We can all agree that this whole 'AmigaOS for embedded!1' thing people whine about is stupid.

What i meant is development methods.

Does anybody reading this thread have experience in how to deal with legacy code on a platform which was developed using assembly language and 'C'?
Yes, i've been paid to port software off of or 'blackbox' even more arcane operating systems then AmigaOS :-D

How do you retrofit tests to this type of code? Is this even a good idea?
I fear you will be working with a lot of external harness constructs to facilitate you're tests. Might not be as clean but you have to do with what you have to do.

You make it sound worse than it actually is.
Well, from a modern perspective the codebase is really bad, not just the various build systems but also a lot of code quality is questionable. The A4091 device driver code scared me.

Each Commodore engineer was basically his own build engineer, and no two operating system components were likely to have anything in common when it came to building them.
Which is of course one of the core problems, in essence when you look through the RCS data it becomes very obvious how the OS development was a set of very specific personal kingdoms, inter module cooperation is very low. ( a fun paper on this subject).

The current build system uses GNU make and, with the exception of the process which cranks out ROM images and disks, is self-configuring with regard to what needs to be built. It's documented, the complete source code to all the tools is available. It's only 18 years old, and judging from today's offerings in terms of build systems, I find it hard to discard "make".

Those who do not know "make" are bound to reinvent it over and over again, poorly
That i haven't seen, and agreed :-D
Page generated in 0.04457 seconds with 9 queries