View Single Post
Old 17 October 2016, 21:39   #171

Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
You should do native development if the platform allows for it.

When native development became possible for AmigaOS, it completely changed the operating system development culture at Commodore. Workbench/Kickstart 2.0 did benefit enormously from native development. It was not just "eating your own dogfood", the native development tools were considerably more powerful than the tools which had been used before.

That certainly is true, but they are the tools best suited for Amiga development, upsides and downsides included
I think that's sticking to a vision of 1989 a bit, i don't mean it offensively but hold on a for a minute :-)

That is looking at the perspective of working on AmigaOS as a true general purpose OS which should be fit for all use and on which you expect to also run and improve your (or the third party) development tools while you are at it.

Those conditions don't hold true any more. Nowadays AmigaOS has only very specific application areas and you don't expect it to have the best native development any more.

As such I would see working on it far more like how you would work on a VxWorks or Embedded Linux based system.

Of course this doesn't mean your system shouldn't have proper unit tests etc :-)

From what I have seen from the terrible AmigaOS 'build system' and read from you're comments I would take a bit more 'brutalist' approach to getting this to work.

Create harnesses for virtualised instances of all the exotic build environments and just build/populate/run/extract on the fly from you're build system.

Setup would be laborious but once created it would greatly improve productivity (think of the free CI :-D) You could build all of this on a stack of {Svn,Git}/Jenkins/UAE/QEMU/etc

Page generated in 0.04488 seconds with 9 queries