View Single Post
Old 17 October 2016, 18:51   #93
Originally Posted by Stratosplat View Post
I was actually agreeing with you. The entire audio circuitry is incredibly poorly implemented. It would be hard to have made it any worse on purpose let alone by accident. It seems to be a classic example of what happens when you trust digital design engineers to design analogue signal stages.
Oh sorry, then i misunderstood emotional context - and i can't blame Paula (and/or Amiga) designers - we learned so many things about signal sampling and digital audio at the beginning of 90's - many of those things was unknown to Amiga creators and they can't be blamed as it was unknown also for science. I would say that understanding of the digital audio come to us around 1991/1992 so too late for Amiga.

Originally Posted by Stratosplat View Post
Preferring the sound of one opamp over another doesn't mean that it's better. The same applies with power amplifiers where many audiophiles prefer the sound of some ancient designs with clearly audible distortion over modern designs where distortion can be orders of magnitude too low to be audible.

I was talking about actually being better rather than just giving a warm fuzzy feeling of "I've changed it and it sounds different so it must be better". There's so much crap floating around on the voltage rails, reference rail and in the signal itself that the minor noise and distortion introduced by even a cheap opamp is going to be irrelevant by comparison.
I don't blame people for trying to be exceptional with better than average ears but... but i like scientific studies showing how much judgment of such people is biased by their knowledge and psychological factors not related to perception of sound but for example way how things look or how big they are. Good text on this but not only: so true
And HQ audio whole system need to be HQ not only DAC and/or OPAMP - i can hear FDD or HDD activity in Amiga so how it can be 14 bit audio source but OK maybe i have different expectations.
Page generated in 0.07368 seconds with 9 queries