View Single Post
Old 16 October 2016, 11:42   #146

Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
Now that you mention it, I remember seeing this pop up on Hacker News.

I suppose that the authors found it a bit easier to keep the project running on existing hardware, as compared to the Amigas of yore.

While most of the machines of that age wound up in landfills (and maybe the attics of collectors), they were still making computers that could run 386BSD some 10 years after the last maintenance release. The Amiga was not quite so lucky.

I'm sure the release is more for historical value then anything else. Jollix/386BSD was a monumental release as one of the first really usable full blown UNIX's available for PC which wasn't either insanely expensive or too feature limited and it also laid the foundation for Free/Net/OpenBSD.

As for hardware, anyone doing OS dev work uses QEMU for that. I don't want to think of the pain of having to do such things on real physical hardware and i see no reason why.

Historical value is the other reason why the OS3.1 source 'leak' was so fascinating, reading the RCS and code told more about Amiga history then anything else you can read.
Page generated in 0.04469 seconds with 9 queries