View Single Post
Old 15 October 2016, 11:06   #59
Olaf Barthel
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
No no, I mean, why, if the source were made available, would you no longer be responsible for it? I don't get the connection.
It's the other way round: if I could no longer take care of the TCP/IP stack then it would be prudent for me to step down and let somebody else take care of it, by making it an open source project.
The point I am trying to make is that the lack of open source software harms the retrocomputing hobby; it does not help it. That is why I asked what would be required for you to make the source available. I am not asking "What would it take for you to drop it and stop working on it?", I am asking what would be required for you to release it under a permissive license so that many people have the option of inspecting it and working on it, if they should so choose.
What it would take for me is to be unable to support and develop Roadshow as I would want to, according to my own strange standards for Amiga software development.
Before any outdated opposition is raised, please note that in the age of Patreon and Kickstarter, making the source of your TCP/IP stack available does not mean that you cannot make some money by continuing to work on it.
Incidentally, the complete source code to AmiTCP 2.2 is still available on Aminet (this was part of the AmiTCP authors' thesis, and it is licensed under the GPL). Look for "AmiTCP-src-22.lha" and the associated archives (search for the text "stack as a shared library").

This is the blueprint for creating an AmiTCP-API compatible TCP/IP stack for the Amiga, using a BSD Unix-derived kernel/userland and shell command code.

As far as I know, Holger Kruse followed this blueprint, and I did the same.

Somebody else could follow it, too. The reference documentation for the 4.4BSD TCP/IP stack is still in print ("TCP/IP illustrated, Vol. 2: The implementation", by Gary Wright & Richard Stevens).
Page generated in 0.04734 seconds with 9 queries