View Single Post
Old 15 October 2016, 10:52   #116

Wow, this has certainly got people talking... I think it was here that I recently saw someone asking where they could get a legit workbench disk. I wonder how many people there are that would be interested in this that don't currently participate in forums such as this, that do a search on google for "workbench disk" and give up because they get put off by the way things are today.

As someone who has only recently come back to the Amiga after years away, I found I had to dedicate some time to the task. Things have changed from back in the day when I had several places I could purchase what I needed from, and I didn't have to worry about exceeding hard disk size limitations, as a CD, with 650Mb of space, was regarded as a "large, slow, read only hard-disk". I got a 16Gb mSATA working, but it required some work, enough that I can see potential newcomers being put off, deciding it's all too hard and not worth it.

I got my A600 re-capped, something that was beyond my ability, and another possible stumbling block to anyone who wants to come back as I did.

I got myself a 1Mb upgrade, and even with that, my now 2Mb A600 doesn't get used as much as I'd like to use it, as it barely has 1Mb of Chip RAM available after booting.

And I've discovered that a lot of WHDload games require some fast RAM. So now I'm looking at getting a Furia 020 for a faster CPU and more RAM.

I do also plan on getting a Vampire, which I know has polarised the community, but in all honesty it's one of the things that made me bite the bullet and get an Amiga again.

My A600 has it's Kickstart soldered on, making replacing it with a 3.1 ROM something beyond my ability. And I've also discovered that the poor old Kickstart 37.350 really needs to be replaced, even if I end up using MapROM functionality to load a later kickstart.

As some know, I also decided I wanted to learn to code in C on the Amiga, and that has been a steeper learning curve than I think it should have been. I have found that a lot of assumptions are made about prior knowledge of how the Amiga works, which newcomers such as myself don't have. I honestly thought, in this day and age, with access to the internet, that things would have been a lot easier for someone learning to code on the Amiga than they were in the pre-internet days. That has not been my experience.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are a number of technical issues that anyone deciding to either "come back" to the Amiga, or give it a chance using real hardware, will have to deal with that could potentially make them decide it's too hard. In fact, it it wasn't for AmigaForever and WinUAE, I don't think my A600 would be usable, and that's after I've spent quite a number of hours learning and experimenting, and downloading and installing, and... well you get the picture I'm sure.

Sure, Amiga Forever makes things so much easier for anyone who is happy to use an emulated Amiga, but for anyone who wants to use real hardware, there are some real obstacles that, in my very humble opinion, if some of them could be addressed easily, would prevent people from being put off like I so easily could have been.
Page generated in 0.04648 seconds with 9 queries