View Single Post
Old 14 October 2016, 19:36   #94
Olaf Barthel
Originally Posted by wXR View Post

I don't doubt your concerns, but you lose me completely when you cite GitHub as a mere footnote. GitHub is no toy. You are clearly missing the most important thing about it, which is not something technical. GitHub provides a well-designed social network for software development. That is its greatest strength, and why it is the glue for almost all of today's most important projects. Without using it on a day-to-day basis, you wouldn't understand this at all. Indeed it might simply seem like a toy. But if you are really interested, I would strongly suggest that you participate in some active, open project hosted there. Only then will you have your own moment of gnosis.
Been there, done that. I'm no stranger to Git and certainly not to GitHub.

The problem is that as a tool you still have Git underneath that, and AmigaOS is a very strange beast which makes a very, very poor fit for the versioning model which underlies Git's architecture.

Please do not discount this, my statement, as the incoherent mutterings of a Git doubter who pines for the days when CVS ruled the roost and dinosaur herds were seen peacefully disemboweling each other by the stream next to the office.

The AmigaOS source code history goes back to 1985, and they did things differently then with RCS, which was converted to CVS, then to SVN over the years by yours truly. Each single component of the operating system has a change history completely separate from all other components. Individual versions are tagged, and (this is the fun part) there are numerous components which use the same version tag (e.g. "V36_4"), but these version tags do not refer to the same release. These tags just mark spots on the timeline of the individual component's development history.

To the best of my knowledge, SVN is the only model which allows the for AmigaOS code change history to be preserved as it is. We did ponder switching to Git, but so far the structure and layout of the whole thing resisted conversion.

And, as I wrote, there is no Git client for AmigaOS. One can still, however, conveniently use the SVN client, which in the case of AmigaOS allows for subtrees to be checked out as needed.
Page generated in 0.07215 seconds with 9 queries