View Single Post
Old 14 October 2016, 14:06   #39
wXR

idrougge, you make a very good point. Imagine an Amiga entry experience that goes something like this:

As a developer, I navigate to github.com/amigaos in my browser. I see an active operating system repository, an SDK repository, and several repositories for related tools. I enter the SDK repository and click the "releases" button, where I see a list of the latest up-to-date, tagged development environments, which include an "instant on" AmigaOS and a full development toolset. I click "Wiki" and see a full set of documentation for every conceivable part of the OS, some even put there by the original AmigaOS developers, who were asked to contribute. I click "issues" and see a current list of discussions around the most pressing issues in the current development branch. I click "branches" and see PPC and even X86 experiments going on, both blending elements of OS3 and OS4. I take a casual look at the README.md for the current branch and notice that, in my Debian-based repo, I can simply type "apt-get install amigaos-dev" to get the full development environment on my system, which auto-updates. On Mac, I can type "brew install amigaos-dev". Rad.

As a casual emulation user, I navigate to amigaos.com, because I want to setup "an Amiga" on my computer. It auto-detects my operating system and I click "Download", and a bundled installer is dropped onto my desktop, which I double-click for a full-screen, fully graphical, best-of-class Amiga experience.

And on and on.

In both cases, the user doesn't need to fuss about ROMs, licenses, or placating well-intentioned but effectively parasitic companies. This scenario above would only be possible through permissive licensing.

Page generated in 0.04196 seconds with 11 queries