View Single Post
Old 12 October 2016, 18:05   #37
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
No confusion, no. At least not in my side.
What is a 8 bit DAC for you ? Isn't it the same as 8 1-bit DAC stacked together, each one giving 1/2 of the previous one's output level ?
Listen to Atari ST sampled sound - it is 3 4-bit logarithmic DAC, all together giving close to 8 bit accuracy. Here it's more or less the same trick.
Well it looks like you not confused but OK let assume that 8 bit DAC is 8 1-bit DAC stacked together (it is not like this from circuit perspective and they are various circuit topologies) - what is source for multibit DAC nonlinearities accrodingly to you ? - as a coder you see only numbers and registers assuming that DAC is plain and linear extension where in real life analogy between arithmetic in ALU and real electric current is not direct.
I know how SID and AY tricks works but how this is linked with Paula?

As i explained the calibrated output uses 8+8, not 8+6.
Problem is that you didn't explain anything - side to this you are ignoring fact that calibration assume less bits than in theory available (did you perform re-quantization on 8/6 sample part? - asked you about algorithm used in calibration)

For 14 bit see above, and my previous posts. I have explained it.
For the quantization noise, don't forget that the final output isn't exactly the same as the input signal.
You didn't explained anything and this is problem from my perspective as you expect me to believe when i'm trying to understand.
How output is different on final output when compared to input signal (assumption is 16 bit samples at input) - please briefly describe steps from input to output.

Irrelevant. What are you trying to do ?
Understand how to achieve real 14 bit DAC accuracy on Paula.

There is more than 14 bit usable, not less. I have explained it several times.
Well, obviously you're standing at your theoretical level and you haven't tried.
How there can be more than 14 usable in Paula with calibration - please explain as you didn't explain anything.
My theoretical level is that on Paula with calibration you may have between 10 and 12 bit DAC accuracy - you can fit even 64 bit data but at the end it will not more than 12 bits.

My guess is that if you were listening at some true 16 bit sound, then the same with a properly configured 14-bit Amiga config, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I can tell you when you connecting Amiga to amplifier input without any signal as power plane is so noisy in Amiga... And there is substantial difference between real audio system capable to deliver real 16 bit performance and Amiga.
Page generated in 0.06241 seconds with 9 queries