View Single Post
Old 12 October 2016, 14:03   #33
68k wisdom
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Seem you are confusing adding in register with DAC accuracy - going this way by stacking 4 8 bit DAC together we can have 32 bit audio converter...
No confusion, no. At least not in my side.
What is a 8 bit DAC for you ? Isn't it the same as 8 1-bit DAC stacked together, each one giving 1/2 of the previous one's output level ?
Listen to Atari ST sampled sound - it is 3 4-bit logarithmic DAC, all together giving close to 8 bit accuracy. Here it's more or less the same trick.

Well i have impression that 8+6=14 however if you need to do calibration i.e. not adding 8+6 but less then you will never have 14.
By calibration you accepting fact that you have less than 14 bits useful.
As i explained the calibrated output uses 8+8, not 8+6.

Please elaborate on this - calibration make less than 14 bit usable...
For 14 bit see above, and my previous posts. I have explained it.
For the quantization noise, don't forget that the final output isn't exactly the same as the input signal.

Have you heard 6 bit DAC or 3 bit playing?
Irrelevant. What are you trying to do ?

Once again there is no 14 bit audio in Amiga as after calibration you will have less than 14 bits usable, yes, i've heard Amiga in so called 14 bit mode and i have impression that this mode is somewhere between 10 and 12 bits maximum (for 12 assumption is properly made calibration with spectrum analyzer and improved power supply section for Paula).
There is more than 14 bit usable, not less. I have explained it several times.
Well, obviously you're standing at your theoretical level and you haven't tried.

My guess is that if you were listening at some true 16 bit sound, then the same with a properly configured 14-bit Amiga config, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
(Pretty much like some folk - you know who you are my friend - who pretended downsample by average was very poor, and yet has been proven unable to tell who's who with a blind testing.)
Page generated in 0.04694 seconds with 9 queries