View Single Post
Old 01 October 2016, 20:24   #25
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
But there is not enough developers, there is no compiler support, there is no debugging support. Everything needs to be done before actual support happens. It won't.
I had an e-mail discussion with Frank "phx" Wille about this recently. He was wanting to add Apollo core support to vasm and asked me a few questions since I used to be part of the so called "Apollo Team". Support needs to start with basic tools like assemblers and debuggers and these need to be added to overcome the chicken and egg problem. The basic tools would eventually be used by higher level tools like compilers but there isn't really anything in the current Apollo ISA which could immediately or easily be used by compilers (certainly vbcc doesn't do much with SIMD instructions). Vasm would be adding SIMD instruction support just for an enhanced 68k FPGA CPU used by a handful of assembler programmers. Add to that the poor documentation and an ISA which has a history of changing often and it is aiming at a fast moving target. IMO, it is not time but please don't rule out that it will not happen even though the odds are with you. I was on the "Apollo Team" so there is a potential conflict of interest in my opinion even if I do try to be fair and unbiased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
There was a time when a handful developers were in the team. They said a few things were wrong in the design. Guess what happened after...
There are probably obedient new developers in his "Team" which agree with him all the time now. We shouldn't sabotage his project as he is perfectly capable of doing that on his own.

Page generated in 0.04212 seconds with 11 queries