View Single Post
Old 24 August 2016, 08:36   #1146
lem79

Is anyone using FS-UAE with the open source AMDGPU driver on Ubuntu 16.04 with the Padoka PPA? This month some time, a change in mesa git has prevented fs-uae from launching. In the terminal, the last thing I see is:

setting gwwpagesize to something...

.. and then the fs-uae window locks up on a simple black screen (nothing was displayed). The fs-uae task sits there using ~24% CPU according to top, but doesn't cause the CPU to clock up to maximum frequency. The GPU (in my case a Radeon 380X) is also idle at lowest pstate at this point. Other OpenGL apps work fine, including Unigine Valley, and of course compiz. This lockup does not occur when using the AMDGPU-PRO driver, nor the shipped open source AMDGPU support in Ubuntu 16.04. This may be an indication of a bug incoming for Ubuntu 16.10 however, since it will use an updated version of mesa etc?

My system is an AMD FX-8350, AMD Radeon 380X 4Gb running Ubuntu 16.04 fully updated, plus the Padoka PPA (mesa-git and updated LLVM).

Is there something I can do to help pinpoint the bug? I'm thinking it's an OpenGL related bug. apitrace perhaps? I've never done any debugging like this, but happy to follow instructions.

edit: I ran fs-uae-launcher with apitrace, then used qapitrace to inspect the output. fs-uae only gets to render 3 frames as far as I can tell, and on the third frame, there's this:

1490 @0 glFenceSync(condition = GL_SYNC_GPU_COMMANDS_COMPLETE, flags = 0) = 0x8aba220
1491 @0 glFlush()
1492 @0 glClientWaitSync(sync = 0x8aba220, flags = GL_SYNC_FLUSH_COMMANDS_BIT, timeout = 0) = GL_TIMEOUT_EXPIRED
1493 @0 glClientWaitSync(sync = 0x8aba220, flags = 0x0, timeout = 0) = GL_TIMEOUT_EXPIRED
15561 @0 glClientWaitSync(sync = 0x8aba220, flags = 0x0, timeout = 0) = GL_TIMEOUT_EXPIRED

With further testing .. it's glFenceSync that's causing the problem. Setting the sync method to something that doesn't involve fences, lets fs-uae start fine.

edit: I have opened a bug against mesa for this: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97461

Last edited by lem79; 24 August 2016 at 11:09. Reason: Add apitrace and further testing details, mesa bug

Page generated in 0.04707 seconds with 10 queries