View Single Post
Old 11 August 2016, 16:11   #6
Obviously hindsight is a wonderful thing, but a couple of things that spring to mind:

- No fast RAM socket in the A1200. Why on earth did they make a computer that could only add memory via a trap door card, which then meant you couldn't add any other expansion cards or peripherals? There was no shortage of space on the motherboard for a RAM socket and that alone IMO could have saved the A1200, especially in later years when Escom re-released it in 1995 with EXACTLY the same spec as the 1992 model. Imagine if they could have simply chucked in a 4 or 8MB RAM stick.

- No SCSI on the A4000D. It was done to save costs, why cut corners on your premium model? For the A1200 or A600 sure IDE makes sense, but releasing a professional computer with no SCSI in 1992 was a joke.

I often read old issues of Amiga Format and the Commodore management of the time literally had no idea what they were talking about, some things they said were either outright lies or technically impossible. Imagine Jony Ive standing up at an Apple expo and saying "the next generation iPhone will have an in built microwave and be able to cook food for you!" most of what they said was complete nonsense, I wasn't technical at the time so just took what they said as gospel, but I can imagine more savvy people reading the interviews and spitting their tea all over the floor.

Last edited by edd_jedi; 11 August 2016 at 16:16.
Page generated in 0.08527 seconds with 9 queries