View Single Post
Old 10 August 2016, 23:38   #49
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
MMX kind of disabled the x87 by hijacking registers but what about AMMX and a future 68k FPU. I'm not sure I get this part. The Apollo core AMMX gives you 32 registers. How will this affect the future FPU.
If the Pentium MMX couldn't use the FPU for Float the I get the problem, but if Apollo Core AMMX and FPU registers don't "clash" then you should be able to use both at the same time?
AMMX shouldn't affect the FPU as it is not attached to it. FPU instructions do originate in the integer units but i doubt this will cause a problem for now. AMMX instructions could cause problems with the integer register accesses but I don't know how this is implemented. Perhaps there is no problem at the low clock speed of a processor in FPGA. The design is suspect for the future though if floating-point is added to the SIMD unit (which would give floating point in the integer unit registers) or processor speeds increase with an ASIC. Code maintainability is also decreased by joining units.

Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
btw, Just saw that BigGun is welcoming coders that could optimize stuff (primarily video and audio players) for AMMX. So maybe we'll be seeing some benefits pretty soon. Riva player could become quite powerful I imagine.
We will see but I don't expect much. A working FPU is more exciting because it would enable existing Amiga code to run.
Page generated in 0.05574 seconds with 9 queries