View Single Post
Old 05 August 2016, 12:45   #18
TroyWilkins

I've been annoying my ever patient partner talking far too much about the Amiga, what I like about it, what happened, what went wrong, and how it was far better (in my humble opinion) than the Macintosh and PC of the time. I honestly sometimes wonder how she puts up with me, haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Running ADF images can in fact be easily done - the first thing that comes to mind are two projects the HxC and the GoTek
The GoTek is cheaper, even if you buy it pre-programmed, where as the HxC has been about for slightly longer.

both of these projects use an SD card to store ADF images, well in the case of the HxC they need to be convereted before putting onto the SDCard

Both will set you back about $60 AUS pending what you are looking for. If I could be so bold, I personally think that you would be better served with a Hard Disk Device and 2MB of CHIP RAM - and here are my thoughts on this.

When you have 2MB CHIP and a sizeable hard drive (lets say 4GB) you can install this with Classic Workbench 68k and AGLaunch - this comes pre-installed under CW-x-28

While I stumbled into creating AGLaunch, which was especially designed for a 2MB A600/1200 the community has really made it it's own and it wouldn't be as anywhere near as good without them, I couldn't be prouder - its very humbling indeed!

Now, From here you need to have a quick Google Search for "WHDLoad game packs" - you can search for that title or "KillerGorilla WHDLoad"

Have a good download session with your favourite beverage, copy them to the hard disk device and you will have access of over 3,000 game titles to play, review and geek out at =)
Way ahead of you there my good friend, to be honest that was what was the final straw, what made me decide to get myself an A600 and get back into the Amiga again after selling the last Amiga I had - an A4000/040 - back in I think it was 2008. I have kind of kept an eye on the Amiga scene, but not followed it closely, but was aware of the Vampire 2 and was tempted, but thought that WinUAE would be close enough to scratch that itch, but then stumbled across this video (as I've subscribed to his channel and enjoy his videos):
[ Show youtube player ]

So I got all the WHDLoad game packs, and extracted them to a directory on my hard drive, and set it up to all work in WinUAE. And this was well and good, but it made me want to show the kids just how innovative and how good the Amiga was, and lets face it, as good as WinUAE is, it's not perfect and it's not the real thing, and it doesn't have the "wow" factor of the whole computer being in the keyboard like a 500/500+/600 or 1200 does. When the kids can see that it's a real computer, and not just another program running under Windows 10...

Click image for larger version

Name:	13898158_10209965690002651_598241333_o.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	49305

Click image for larger version

Name:	13950863_10209965693482738_148137931_o.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	49306

So I decided to try to get an Amiga, and a very short time later the kids were all wanting to check it out, being amazed at how the keyboard was the entire computer, and having seen videos of the Amiga in action and hearing me talk about how great it was... So it got sent off to get repaired so it works again, so I can show them what sort of computer I had when I was not much older then they are now (I had an A1200 with a 40Mb HDD as my first Amiga, but hey, an A600 is still much closer than a C64), and that brings us pretty much up to where I am now.

Quote:
Now just explain the video embedded a bit - this is of AG-Launch running on a 2MB A600 - allowing for multiple disk games (Alien Bread TA is 4 disks as is Project X etc.)

With only 2MB CHIP RAM, loading speed on multi-disk games is only slightly faster than loading from Floppy Disk - but doesn't provide the inconvenience of having to find working floppy disks to write ADF files too or having to convert ADF to HxC files or having to fuss about with boot selectors on either the HxC or the GoTek.

Don't get me wrong they are fun to play with, but hard-drive all the way for that instant gratification
Oh absolutely, I understand exactly what you mean, and that has a huge appeal to me. But I believe there are still a number of games that have not been made to work yet with WHDLoad, and as I have a bit of a collection of those games on my hard drive as ADFs, a floppy emulator would save me the hassle of trying to find a way of writing them to a real physical disk.

And I love the idea behind AG-Launch, and plan on playing around with it either tonight or tomorrow now that I've got a hard disk image setup in WinUAE that I'm getting happy with. Your idea was a great one, and I see what you meant about the community, which was really fantastic to see.
Quote:
It is my pleasure, one of, perhaps the most important thing about the Amiga is how YOU make it YOUR's and don't let anyone tell you different lol!

If you prefer the "clunk clunk whirr whirr" sounds of the Floppy Drive as it interrogates a floppy disk like a coked up angry bee - then my friend, have at it - it is what puts a smile on your face and warmth in your heart - for me its all about sharing this Amiga experience(s) I have had and still having after 28 years! =D

(When I got my Interface 1 and Microdrives working on my Spectrum 128k *Toast Rack* - I spent a good hour with a grin from ear to ear just formatting micro-cassettes!) - unleash the inner geek is what I say!

So this little 600 build, while I and others have dumped a ton of info here - remember to make this one yours!

I look forward to seeing pictures =D
Oh believe me, I look forward to making it my own unique setup.

I'm also a car guy, and for me, a big part of that hobby is making it mine, unique, to my own particular taste and different from how every other vehicle on the same production line rolled out. My vehicle of choice (if anyone is interested) is a 1992 Toyota Corolla SECA (Liftback) SX, with 4AGE engine, which I've done a few things to over the yars and continue to make it "mine". Sure, there are some things that almost everyone does, but then there are other choices that are down to individual taste - many people lower their vehicle and change the wheels, but what size wheels they go for, what style they are, that varies to a huge degree.

Last edited by TroyWilkins; 05 August 2016 at 12:58. Reason: Selling, not seeing, bad typo, bad!

Page generated in 0.07041 seconds with 10 queries