View Single Post
Old 16 July 2016, 21:31   #16
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Hassle free and illegal if you do not buy the corresponding originals or do not use games which have been explicitly "released" to the community by their owners.
Many commercial games (but a minority only) have been made legally downloadable by their owners and you can use these with WHDLoad without problems, for the others, you also need to buy the corresponding originals if you want to be in the clear.

It is up to you what you do (I only play what I buy) obviously but you should not assume all games are available for free legally. Same as MAME.
If you go to something like Team 17s site you'll find all their releases as legal downloads. And there's plenty of them.
Not all publishers / devs cared or could be bothered with doing that. It was easier to just walk away and not look back.

(But legally speaking, downloading software that was released 25 years ago and impossible to buy from any official source for at least 20... May not be automatically legal... But , who's losing money on it? As long as you don't try to re-sell it, no court would care because how can you seek compensation if it hasn't been for sale for decades.)

That being said, I pretty much Only got original games back in the day, even on the C64 because I liked to have the boxes and the stuff that sometimes came inside). But I'm not going RainMan on anyone's ass for downloading abandonware ;-)

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.04493 seconds with 11 queries