View Single Post
Old 12 July 2016, 22:50   #27
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
And how many A500/A1000 units are there versus A1200/A600?
There are no doubt several times the number of Amiga 500/1000 units vs Amiga 1200/600 units but if you compared the number of active users it would be much closer. The Vampire 600 is allowing more Amiga 600 units to become active. The Vampire 500 will allow more Amiga 500/1000/2000 units to become active but last I heard, the current design does not have internet connectivity (ethernet or WiFi). I expect the Vampire 500 to sell in the thousands of units which would likely be a bigger market than old BBS guys using stock Amigas.

Were you around in the mid 80's to early 90's when BBSing was popular on C64 and Amiga? We plugged in a modem on the serial port and had a great time dialing into BBSs. There was nothing lame about it. I have a few other Amiga friends and they are excited at the possibility of a Modern take on the modem so I think there is more room other then just "Amiga Retro gamers" being "All that's left".
I used a modem and did some BBSing. This is still possible with your old serial port modem or through telnet and I never asked for the modem/telnet feature to be removed from Jim's hardware. Advancing technology has antiquated the modem and BBS. Holding back features from the Amiga will just make it more antiquated as well.

Ok perhaps not a ton of A2000 and A1200 users if they already have a network device configured, but this is still an easier experience for terminal software and no HD needed. Plug in, boot up a terminal and enjoy. Can you say that for the A1200 PCMCIA network adapters and browsers? I have one and you need not only an HD but a major accelerator and memory expansion because a stock A1200 and network solution is simply not good enough for web browsing and other TCP/IP apps. This opens up terminal and BBS use to a ton of unexpanded A500/A600/A1200 users.
Many of my floppies don't work anymore (humid midwest of U.S.). I won't use a stock 68000 Amiga for anything including games because so many of my floppies are bad and I'm not a masochist. I've had good luck with accelerators and HDs which are game changers. I thought the Amiga was currently primitive enough but some people want to go back to hunting and reinventing the wheel it seems. I think most would prefer a new enhanced Amiga but then that isn't easy either with the parties holding the Amiga hostage.

Originally Posted by Akira View Post
You can access the internet with any fucking computer, your phone, a television or maybe even a toaster. Nothing fun about doing it with an Amiga.
The Amiga has failed to make the internet fun because there aren't enough Amigas online for Amiga online games. There aren't even enough Amigas in use to make Amiga games. The AmigaOS could have standard resources to allow a friend list to connect to and voice or text chat while playing games or using apps. Other major OSs have 3rd party applications which allow this but don't have the integration, control and consistency that OS resources could provide. Of course the Amiga can't even follow technology with the lack of leadership and tiny market today. Affordable hardware could show the path forward but maybe too many of the users keep looking back even as the technology and hardware enabling them to go into the headwinds is more advanced than the original hardware they used. Surely you realize the usefulness of the internet even if you don't understand what I'm talking about because the Amiga is dead. It is certainly quite useful to have connectivity for pulling down software off the internet and local networks.
Page generated in 0.05759 seconds with 9 queries