View Single Post
Old 12 July 2016, 15:58   #11
Zippy Zapp

I would love this for Amiga! I am enjoying the WiModem for C64 and BBSs on the Amiga would be fantastic, given the faster speed, 80 columns, etc.

My opinions:

1) the c-64 wifi modem should have had a 6551 for reasonable transfer rates and plugged to the cartridge port
2) the amiga wifi modem should look like a plipbox and connect to the parallel port
I know they are just your opinions, so that's cool. But there are a few cons to doing it the way you suggest. 1. There are not that many terminal packages on the C64 that work with the cartridge port serial adapters. I think like 2 or so. Just about any terminal works with User Port versions. Personally I would rather have choice of terminals vs speed. At 2400 baud it is fine for BBSs on the C64, IMHO. In addition it does support the UP9600 hack.

2. I seem to recall, but I could be wrong, that the same is true of the Amiga. Most of the terminals that I used worked with the serial device modems.

This is a great device for it's intended purpose and makes it dead simple to connect to BBSs and telnet servers. And for the price it is an excellent deal.
Page generated in 0.05027 seconds with 9 queries