View Single Post
Old 09 July 2016, 17:43   #163
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
IDrougge derided package managers but they solve a problem which is inherent in building software from modular blocks and AmigaOS definitely lacks dependency management and an enormous amount of modern features which are necessary to attract users and coders.
You know, the solution to a problem is often a problem in itself.

Because AmigaOS is so well-structured, we seldom run into the dependency hell of Linux or DLL hell of Windows. The only case where I can see a reason to have package management is in MUI, and that might be because there is some deeper-rooted problem in MUI.

I have less overview in my minimal node.js installation than I have on my Amigas, which are entire operating systems and not some basic web server package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat
What we lack are tools which facilitate targeting this retro system. Many exist but to a large extent everyone still seems to rewrite their own toolchain and this is clearly a waste of time.
In a way, but programmers seem to love building their own toolchains and there's not much one can do to stop them.

I think what is really lacking is documentation. So much is based on arcane spells known only to those who have studied the lost arts of Amiga development, or any other platform I can think of. I'd love to do something on the C64 one day, but the basic steps needed to get up and running are far from obvious. That's why Photon's work is invaluable for introducing people to Amiga HW coding.

Quote:
When developing on the Amiga, which toolchain do you use?
Blitz Basic 2, ProAsm and ARexx.

Quote:
Why?
AmiBlitz is messy and doesn't work for "retro" targets.

Quote:
What is the process you follow for your iterations?
Try and try again.

Quote:
What parts are you willing/desiring to outsource?
Define "outsource".

Quote:
Which tools do you wish existed which would make you faster when coding?
Git and a better Blitz editor/compiler.

Page generated in 0.12511 seconds with 9 queries