View Single Post
Old 08 July 2016, 06:33   #153

Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I'd be surprised too if the Vampire market worked any better than the Cyberstorm/Blizzard PPC market. At least the PPC market in 1996/97 had a few commerical players still in the mix for software development.
I wouldn't. 060/PPC boards started with the disadvantage that for the same price per performance you got for an upgrade to discontinued Commodore hardware, you could get a whole PC system that ran current software.
$1200 USD for PPC accelerator vs a >$1000 complete PC with superior features was a ridiculous notion in the first place.
When they were trying to push PPC Amiga's, a $500 PC ran circles around the nearly $2000 PPC machine.

This was, in my opinion, the most anti-Amiga/Commodore thing they could have done. What made Commodore was the fact that it offered the best performance for the dollar. The Amiga's niche that kept it valuable was it's compatibility with NTSC/PAL.

The 060/PPC were way to expensive, had serious compatibility issues, and we not even top of the line for PowerPC machines.

I could see the 060 interest because it was still 680x0, but it was end of line and in such limited production the price point could never be feasible.

PowerPC was just retarded. The AmigaOS would have been better off if they just made it run on PPC Mac's. At least they were top of the line PPC machines for the price. They did NOTHING better, and NOTHING as good, for nearly 3x the price of the competition.

The Vampires looks to be around >$300!
There is no longer any competition expectation BECAUSE the Amiga is considered dead. People getting the boards most likely have a PC, or Mac.
Because it's an FPGA, your hardware investment can keep being optimized indefinitely simply by upgrading the core. It can also emulate other things by simply swapping the core.

Times have changed and anyone in that situation now is looking to code the next big app for Android or iOS. Just about all the Amiga coders left are older and have real lives and responsibilities to pay for, not to mention don't believe that there is any 2nd, 3rd or 4th coming of the Amiga (Vampire, NG or otherwise)!!! Consequently, most software that will appear for the Vampire - assuming it establishes some sort of user base over time - will follow the status quo IMHO and consist of ports of existing software (predominantly open source as too few end-users will be willing to pay for licensed products).
I agree with that. But ports of OpenSource software is nothing to turn your nose up at. Blender alone, coming with the Blender Game Engine can offer enough entertainment value to make it worth it.

Overly-simplistic and too black & white (things the Ami retro community has never ever been!), particularly if you've spent any real time here on EAB.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but that's what I see in both the Commodore and Amiga community.
You don't see any one complaining that it's not "real" if it doesn't run on a Mac 128K, and demanding that the 400K floppy be the defacto standard for retro Mac's.
The 8 bit Commodore market WORSHIPS the 1541 instead trying to wipe it from history and overcome it's limitations.

It's the same with Amiga 880k floppy.
The fact is the community is divided by two very different goals. One group that just wants to play old games, and one that likes push the limits of the hardware and software.

Complete and utter nonsense. That's akin to saying that developing for anything but SuperCPU set-ups or equivalent on the C64/128 is just a lot of wasted effort!
It is. It's a complete waste of effort because you are programming either solely for yourself, or for such a small and declining market that it might as well be for yourself. Until someone makes an FPGA SuperCPU clone for the 64 and 128, programming for it mental masturbation.
That's fine. Cranking out a LOAD"*",8,1 is normal and healthy.
But let's not pretend it's anything a community can enjoy.
If there only a few thousand Amigans, I bet there are less than 100 SuperCPU users.

Apples and oranges really for a host of reasons, the most notable of which is that the x86 architecture is very much alive and well and, seemingly, always in next gen development, while R&D of the 68K series in the 1990s was more uncertain and expensive. The upshot of that is that Adobe has little incentive to reduce the bloat of Photoshop when adding features (whether they're useful or not), as they know that PC users can cheaply upgrade to a faster system and that Intel/Nvidia will cover their arses in the longer term.
In contrast, coders like Paul Nolan (of Photogenics fame) had little choice but to optimise his code as the more features he added to Photogenics, the smaller the Amiga market would be that had the specs to run his product (as obviously far fewer Ami users could afford to upgrade given the expense of 68K accelerators/gfx cards in the 90s). Believe me, there is a big difference in the list of features between early releases of Photogenics (v1.x-3.x) and the last major release V5.x, but not nearly as much of a divide in bloat and required/recommended specs (cf. early and later versions of Photoshop). IIRC Paul Nolan did such a good job that just about all versions of Photogenics ran in as little as 2MB ram (under KS 3.x), and that he reduced memory requirements by ~1MB when he updated to V4.x.
This is the kind of things that excites me about development on the Amiga. It's sad that he hasn't taken this code to Android, IOS and OS X.
Lean, tight code has a place on mobile. I'm on my 5th or 6th android phone and I still don't have a decent paint program.
I would buy Photogenics multiple times if it ran on a platforms I use.

This is why I'm pushing Python for he Amiga. Make it work there, and it should scale nicely.
Page generated in 0.06262 seconds with 9 queries