View Single Post
Old 08 July 2016, 01:02   #149
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
All these points about the Amiga being a "dead" platform are why my wish list are all OpenSource tools with a cross development history. We're not getting Amiga specific development anymore, but if we can benefit from some of FOSS community developments at least that is something.
Yeah, let's have bloatware with 70s user interfaces and dependency hell. Add a package manager to handle your dependency hell and there you have it Linux with half the performance of a Raspberry Pi at ten times the price.

Originally Posted by Ratteler
With the Vampire FPGA not only might there be the necessary speed at a NON-ridiculous price for performance level, but the very nature of the board allows for upgrades to adapt the processor, graphics... if the 500's are going the way I hope with some kind of USB I/O in the redesign, we talking about a pretty serious game changer. An end to the decline of the platform.
The Amiga's decline ended several years ago, when it hit the rock bottom.

Originally Posted by Ratteler
Even better, the OpenSource tools will actually benefit from the Amiga hardcore developers figuring out how to solve the problems of providing the features without the code bloat that the FOSS tools might have from the platforms they were originally developed for. Development from Amiga can trickle back UP the OpenSource code base making those apps more portable. This helps THEM get other resource restricted platforms like cell phones and tablets.
As far as I can tell, the absolute vast majority of Vampire buyers are people who like shorter loading times while playing Cannon Fodder in WHDLoad or watch the icons display faster in Workbench just like most 060 cards have ended up in the hands of rich collectors. I don't see any of those supposed hardcore developers standing in line to get a Vampire so that they can help solve the problems of the open source world using a non-existent toolchain.
Page generated in 0.05967 seconds with 9 queries