View Single Post
Old 07 July 2016, 03:23   #137
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
I think this sums up the situation perfectly. The Amiga is not only irrelevant, it's a dead platform. It's a curiosity for a tiny number of hobbyists.

That doesn't mean that we can't have fun with our hobby.
We sure as hell should!
Moreover, the more fun we have, the more non-Amiga kittens we can attract to the platform so they can take the relay when we are all dead and buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but almost no-one is actually releasing any new Amiga software for any configuration. A small number of people talk about writing software. A handful of people seem to be writing software, and a very small subset actually release new stuff. That's the definition of a dead platform.
Well, you can put me in the "only verbally active" category so far but once I get up to speed I should be able to release stuff with some regularity. Hopefully this should inspire others to continue (as the current wave did inspire me).
But as I keep repeating, a commercial market would help to seed more developments as this allows developers to take a bit of time off work to spend on their passion.
And in this perspective I am curious to hear about how Tales of Gorluth and Tank Fury are faring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000;1100142I
haven't seen anyone even talking about writing vampire specific stuff, but I might be missing something ?
I would think that there will be some software released once enough boards have reached actual humans but for now the supply chain seems to have a fairly low output so this will probably take some time.

This said, I see no reason for the Vampire market to work better than the 060/PPC one in the long term. Good software emerges naturally when the user base is large enough and for productivity software I doubt it will ever be large enough. As usual, ports of games will arrive but I am not so sure that they will have anything Amiga specific to show. Will we see original Vampire games relatively as impressive as SOTB was (graphically, I mean) or will there be only ports of existing stuff?

Anyway this is just my impression and I am no oracle so wait and see and I wish them happiness anyway.

Page generated in 0.06585 seconds with 9 queries