View Single Post
Old 04 July 2016, 13:23   #92
old bearded fool

Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
it depends how you define "dead" here. In the sense of becoming a competitive platform on a similar level as the mainstream platforms it is totally dead and will never become live there again. That has to do with the fact that it died commercially 15-20 years ago and development outside has not stopped, that has to do with how software is created today with of course no support for Amiga now. That has to with the way f.e. games are created today. The chance to get any new software from commercial developers for a market with only thousands of potential buyers (already optimistic guess) is zero. Applications are even potential more risky, in the old times many of the applications were written by students but amiga today does not exist anymore, students today certainly are neither knowing of it nor interested to support it. The existing users are mainly retro people, that want to run the old software (expecially games) on the hardware, if possible faster of course. They want to use the old OS, perhaps updated hardware, but it is a retro community. Something I did not see (or better not wanted to see) myself and now understand. So it really depends what you expected of the future. I would not say dead, there will be some development, some home-brew software, some ports. If you think of a competitive platform in todays terms it is dead.
I agree with your points regarding retro, mainstream and games, but would also like to add, some of us are not happy with the direction of modern software and hardware platforms. Bloated end user code written in high level languages which only works because there are X number of cores running over GHz speeds, and it still lags more often than not. The performance of many "modern apps" today would have been laughed at in the Amiga community back in the day, back to the drawing board, it's called "optimization", a crucial part of development (also the part which is most fun IMHO). My argument is even more apparent in the demo scene where Amiga still rules in many ways along with C64, and rightfully so.

One of the reasons I got back into Amiga and bought an A1200 again (sold my first one back in 199x) was because of the amazing software, some still being developed, many times better than any PC/Mac/Arm/whatever alternatives which is no small feat considering byte size and processing power. Sure, the classic games and great communities like this one made it even more interesting.

BTW: 68k is one of the few CPU architectures where assembler is truly beautiful, thank you CISC.
Page generated in 0.05363 seconds with 9 queries