View Single Post
Old 01 July 2016, 22:08   #62
Code Kitten

Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Just like anything else really, because it has the software that suits one's needs/wants. If not, then that's fine too......people can stick with regular use of a modern PC/Mac/WHY.
Yes, to each their own. Which is why I used "work" rather than "use". There are very few productivity tasks that it would want to do directly on an Amiga when I have a much slicker/faster and more practical OS and hardware on the side.

However I have no issues with playing on the machine and developing for it, there are plenty of games which the stock machines can run just fine which have never been written (or exist but deserve a rewrite).
I understand that some people like to do things "the old way", such as a walking pilgrimages, rustic holidays in old walls close to the chimney fire and such, and sometimes I enjoy it myself, but on a daily basis there is no question that modern stuff is better.

This said, playing good games is always cool, something that was fun in old times can still be fun today and the machines will never be outdated in this regard.

Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
In my hypothetical OS that would mean that you just never turn memory protection off, at the cost of speed.

Yes, it is. Just because the OS doesn't force you to do anything in particular, doesn't mean that you should mess around simply because you can. An OS without memory protection actually forces you to play nice, or your software ends up being crappy.
It is not my job to prevent that my machine rebooted in the middle of something because a program was buggy, it is the OS's.
This slippery slope does not exist: memory protection does not encourage buggy programs since it kills them immediately and safely. It rather allows to identify them immediately ("program MyFavoriteShinyBrowserBuggyAsHel attempted to write at an invalid address and was terminated") and thus allows me to throw them instantly to the trash rather than keep using them not knowing that they are coded horribly and make my system unstable. This means users do not have to do dichotomic searches anymore and encourage selection of good programs.

Rather than breeding irresponsibility, it shines a light on it and allows to prune the weeds out. Not knowing what makes their system unstable on the contrary encourages the average user to keep bad programs running.

Moreover, it can be used to send crash reports to the authors so they can fix those bugs. Again, this encourages good coding practices since being flooded by crash reports is not fun.

I think everyone can agree that optional memory protection is useful for development.

Why use an Amiga, then?
Cf my answer to DrBong above: not for work, but for what it is good at as a retro machine. Dungeon Master will always be fantastic to play on a stock 500/1MB.
As would be a newly written successor to it for the same machines.
(I would just not develop it on an Amiga.)
Page generated in 0.05727 seconds with 9 queries