View Single Post
Old 01 July 2016, 00:43   #55
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Ok. Let's say you've found the instruction move.l (a0)+,d0. Now how to determine it's valid or not ?
Just check against some bounds. Bounds can be checked by keeping track of memory allocations. With a special assembler, you could even track dcb.x and ds.x directives. You can check if custom chip registers are read or written. It won't be perfect, but you can certainly do more than just nothing at all.

Quote:
How do you handle the memory lists ? Remember, for memory protection you have to know which areas belong to whom.
The OS keeps track of that. Not exactly difficult.

Quote:
Might be very funny in case of heavy memory fragmentation.
That probably won't be better than AOS: RESET There may be some possibilities, but I don't know if they're practical.

Quote:
Perhaps you're just using the wrong texteditor+soundplayer combination
I use FrexxEd which is a heavyish editor, but I want a little more functionality than other text editors and have spent a lot of time overhauling the thing. FrexxEd ain't going nowhere

Quote:
90% cpu use isn't grinding to a halt.
And for many files quality remains acceptable.
What?

~90% -> crappy mp3 at 22khz mono
~20% -> original quality wav/aiff at 28khz stereo (20% is a guess)

That's NOT a choice

Quote:
Cool, another 128kb table to allocate
I didn't say it was a good idea, although it's ten times better than 90% CPU usage But, it's not really necessary if you use a file with the right endian, of course, so it's not important.

Quote:
This will not bring you far. If you get a 44100hz wav to be played on a machine that's not in productivity mode, you're out. Better endian convert in all cases.
What does the sample rate have to do with endian conversion? Also, 44.1khz would have to be down sampled in real time, which is far worse. Better if the user just uses a properly down sampled 28khz file. Sounds better, and uses less CPU.

Quote:
Yea maybe. But 99.99% of existing wav files are little endian.
I make my own WAV files, so it's of no concern to me. A proper WAV codec has to be able to handle both anyway, and Samurai_Crow just gave AIFF as a little endian option. Just tried AIFF with Hippo, works fine.

Page generated in 0.07493 seconds with 9 queries