View Single Post
Old 30 June 2016, 22:17   #53
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
You can just handle assembly language like a script language. The question is whether it's useful or not. Probably not
Ok. Let's say you've found the instruction move.l (a0)+,d0. Now how to determine it's valid or not ?
No, really, it's simply not possible.

Quote:
But where does most of the overhead come from? I don't see how a simple memory protection scheme is going to generate much overhead except for the MMU, but I might be wrong.
How do you handle the memory lists ? Remember, for memory protection you have to know which areas belong to whom. Might be very funny in case of heavy memory fragmentation.

Quote:
Well, I have a peecee...
Oh yeah ? Didn't know

Quote:
Unworkable. The whole system slows down when most of the CPU is in use. It's just not practical.
I don't see any slow down when just typing.
Perhaps you're just using the wrong texteditor+soundplayer combination

Quote:
That's true, but when you're on a 68030, I don't see the usefulness of sacrificing sound quality, just so that you can almost grind the system to a halt.
Aren't you a little bit exaggerating ?
90% cpu use isn't grinding to a halt.
And for many files quality remains acceptable.

Quote:
Just count through all 16 bit combinations, endian convert them, look them up in the calibration table as if they're normal samples, and write them out to a new table. I don't see how that's very hard.
Cool, another 128kb table to allocate

This will not bring you far. If you get a 44100hz wav to be played on a machine that's not in productivity mode, you're out. Better endian convert in all cases.

Quote:
The Sox documentations says that. There are two formats. RIFF and RIFX. They're identical except for the endian and the identifier in the header.
Yea maybe. But 99.99% of existing wav files are little endian.

Page generated in 0.05856 seconds with 9 queries