View Single Post
Old 30 June 2016, 18:42   #49
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
I know, but it may be possible with a 68k VM with JIT. Don't know if it would be overly useful...
No it's not possible. As long as the memory belongs to your process, nothing will identify out-of-range accesses. So you can still happily overflow array bounds.

Quote:
Actually, I don't see a problem with allowing reading the lists. In fact, any actions that can't screw up the system should just be allowed.
For reading the lists you need to disable multitasking - else they can change while you read. Forget to reenable it and you screw up the system.

Quote:
I didn't explain that very well. They share each others message buffer, but they can only read message buffers that they receive pointers to. That way, tasks can't alter each others memory, but they can read it for memory blocks where that's relevant.
So everyone's read only for the other ?

Quote:
Such as?
You speak about optional memory protection, but it has nothing to do with the fact a program will work or not. If a program doesn't have the added overhead memory protection implies, then it won't work when it's active.

Quote:
Yes, and while the CPU is almost maxed out you can't do much else with your machine. On my 68030 I can only playback mp3s in crappy quality, and the CPU is almost maxed out. What use is that?
Switch to a better cpu
Anyway you can still code (= type text in an editor).

Quote:
I have a 500GB HD on my Amiga, not a problem.
Not everyone has that. I have a 15GB CF.

Quote:
Isn't it just reading a table?
I was speaking about the code that actually writes the table.

Quote:
I just checked, and WAV supports big endian.
Where did you check ?
All docs i've read say little endian.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

Page generated in 0.05473 seconds with 9 queries