View Single Post
Old 30 June 2016, 17:13   #47
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
It's not their job. You have to write some code that does it for you. Just put debug checks everywhere.
I know, but it may be possible with a 68k VM with JIT. Don't know if it would be overly useful...

Quote:
That's for cases the OS doesn't plan anything.
Do "modern" OSes allow you to walk their task lists ? Their interrupt lists ? Their library lists ?
Maybe they do, but if they miss something - it then becomes impossible while on AOS it's still doable.
Actually, I don't see a problem with allowing reading the lists. In fact, any actions that can't screw up the system should just be allowed.

Quote:
If they don't share any buffer then they can't communicate. Both have to access the same memory area.
I didn't explain that very well. They share each others message buffer, but they can only read message buffers that they receive pointers to. That way, tasks can't alter each others memory, but they can read it for memory blocks where that's relevant.

Quote:
This implies some programs won't work with memory protection turned on - because the relevant logic to make them work in that case is simply not there.
Such as?

Quote:
No big deal for me, as long as there is enough. High cpu usage is temporary
Yes, and while the CPU is almost maxed out you can't do much else with your machine. On my 68030 I can only playback mp3s in crappy quality, and the CPU is almost maxed out. What use is that?

Quote:
high disk space usage is permanent
I have a 500GB HD on my Amiga, not a problem.

Quote:
Not an easy thing to do. Calibration code isn't exactly straightforward.
Isn't it just reading a table?

Quote:
Besides, it only goes one way (= not when you write samples to disk) and for the special case when you don't have to downsample.
I just checked, and WAV supports big endian.

Quote:
I could have said as well : why not just use your peecee for audio ?
Fair enough.

Page generated in 0.09690 seconds with 9 queries