View Single Post
Old 30 June 2016, 16:13   #44
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
I wish assemblers could do this
It's not their job. You have to write some code that does it for you. Just put debug checks everywhere.

Quote:
Sure, but can't the OS just supply the needed data? Give some examples of when not having access to system structures is a problem.
That's for cases the OS doesn't plan anything.
Do "modern" OSes allow you to walk their task lists ? Their interrupt lists ? Their library lists ?
Maybe they do, but if they miss something - it then becomes impossible while on AOS it's still doable.

Quote:
Two communicating tasks simply have their own message buffers, they don't share a single buffer.
If they don't share any buffer then they can't communicate. Both have to access the same memory area.

Quote:
All very true, but remember that the memory protection has to be optional, and that it should be possible to turn it on and off at will. You can't have each program have it's own address space like this.
This implies some programs won't work with memory protection turned on - because the relevant logic to make them work in that case is simply not there.

Quote:
I rather have low CPU usage to be honest.
No big deal for me, as long as there is enough. High cpu usage is temporary, high disk space usage is permanent - not to mention new files can be played directly.

Quote:
Not relevant if you use calibration. Just setup a calibration table for little endian samples.
Not an easy thing to do. Calibration code isn't exactly straightforward.
Besides, it only goes one way (= not when you write samples to disk) and for the special case when you don't have to downsample.

Quote:
AAC isn't video Also, why not just use your peecee for video?
'Course AAC isn't video (even though it's often embedded in it) but the point is that you can't save your video as raw data before playing it.
I could have said as well : why not just use your peecee for audio ?

Page generated in 0.08021 seconds with 9 queries