View Single Post
Old 30 June 2016, 00:04   #26
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
I believe many more people than "many people" are interested in Amiga as a retro platform and would also like to do semi-modern web browsing, development and games on the same platform.
Perhaps you're right, but I'm certainly not someone who likes to go for hardware solutions. Anything beyond 68060 (I prefer 68030), and things like graphics cards on the Amiga are just not my thing. Don't know why, I just don't care for it (not nostalgia related, although the reason isn't a rational one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
But the problem is that sometimes accessing public structures is a necessity for the job we're going to do. Think about monitoring software or OS patches.
I'm sure that it's possible to come up with good solutions for that.

Quote:
A new OS could give extra privileges to trusted software to overcome this, though.
That's one way, but it would be better if it wasn't necessary for user software to mess with OS structures too much.

Quote:
Think twice. Intuition.library constantly sends messages to apps.
I don't see how message passing using pointers is a problem.

Quote:
Even the best compiler in the world won't turn a messy program into a good one. And most of the software we don't have (good browser for example) are nothing but gruesome bloatwares.
Indeed, and of course people will want to port those Firefox anyone? At the same time no one seems to have taken the time to write an optimized html+css engine in 68k asm. In the end all of this will just lead to the peecee situation, and Amiga doesn't need that.

Quote:
While asm can do wonders, in some cases the task is simply impossible. So even though i would love writing an AAC decoder that does real time on 030, i know it won't happen. And i'm not talking about watching youtube videos.
Yup, a CPU is only so fast. In the case of audio, why not just use WAV on the Amiga instead? Great quality, low overhead and actually leaves CPU time free for other things (even on a 50mhz 68030). I don't see the need for heavy real time audio decoders on 68k, to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0lt-thrower View Post
You mean m68k BSD?
No, I don't. I mean an OS that does what AOS does, only better and faster with optional memory protection.

Page generated in 0.05700 seconds with 9 queries